here we go (mcdst)

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by shadowwebs, Aug 17, 2010.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I found this forum to be the best one for the information I needed on whether the A+ or MCDST was the right move for me, and I have opted for MCDST and will go onwards from there.

I have been out and bought the Sybex mcdst book by Bill Ferguson as It covers both exams (70-271,272) so I can see it as being easier reference to go back to in the future, I have installed Windows XP on a Virtual PC Console instead of building up a barebones PC so I can save some money and this way I get to play around with Virtual PC and learn what it is capable of without damaging things too much.

The reason for my post is to ask the obvious question of whether there is anything else I need to know / do before opening the book?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Can't really say that know to much but I'm sure you will be getting some good tips soon. I just want to wish you luck a you start your studies.

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I haven't used the Sybex books but i would recomend the MS Press books, If you can get a hold of Server 2003 (as there is a bit of Active Directory).

I also think getting CBT nuggets videos for the MCDST are handy too (when you can't be arsed reading).

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

I also used virtual pc and set myself up a little network with various users and permissions, did the odd password reset, update some of the virtual machines and not some of the others to see if any problems arose because of that then fixed said machiness bupdating any critical patches.

I believe this may also help me when I do the 70-270

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

whats the difference in the MCDST and the A+?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The A+ is vendor-neutral, not covering any particular OS. It focuses on hardware and software.

The MCDST is vendor-specific, covering Windows XP. It focuses mostly on software.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Does that mean the is recommended to do the mcsdt after doing the a+ or will just having an a+ get you a support job?

8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I would suggest either do the Network+ or the MCDST after the A+...........regarding getting a support job then having the A+ will help but I wouldn't rely on just that.

In my humble opinion getting a job in IT these days is more who you know than what you know or being very lucky, I'm not saying you will never get a job just on your certs (alot of ppl on here have got jobs probably on the basis of there certs) but its very difficult!!

SORRY FOR THE WEE RANT THERE :oops:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No certification will "get you a support job", though certifications can be helpful. In truth, you don't need ANY certifications to start out with. Certifications simply give you an edge over your competition. For that reason, I recommend entry-level techs pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST. That doesn't mean to get those three certifications and THEN start looking for employment... that means start looking while you pursue those certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have been working in IT for a few years now, without any certifications or qualifications to my name and have been very lucky, I have now decided to start looking at the MCDST because I need to get things to prove my worth

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)