Here is a question regarding LoopBack Addresses

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by NetEyeBall, Jan 20, 2007.

1. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Tonight I was suppressing network alerts using CA Spectrum and the routers LoopBack Address. I was able to telnet to the device (or putty for ssh). However the alert wouldn't suppress.
    So I was wondering why. I found that the devices that I couldn't suppress didn't have a Loopback address configured. But how was I able to telnet to them? DNS has the device's host name configured to the loopback address.

But it doesn't make any sense to me. What am I missing?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  2. NetEyeBall

It must be behind firewall performing Nat. Unfortunately I can't log into the firewalls to check it out.

3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

NetEyeBall,

Questions:
    1. What make and model are the routers?
    2. Which routing protocol(s) are being used on the routers?
    3. When you say "I was able to telnet to the device (or putty for ssh)...", was the computer you were using on the same LAN as the routers?
    4. If answered "no" for question 3, was the computer you were using trying to access the routers over a WAN/Internet link?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. NetEyeBall

Cisco 2811
    It is behind a firewall so I am pretty sure that my SSH (putty) session is being forwarded to the F0/0 address.
    No routing protocol is being used. Just static routes.

It is the same on all that I have check thus far. I am sure it is being Natted as on each device there is no loopback and they seem to all be behind a firewall for a VPN Vendor type connection.

Damn..I wish I had access to the firewalls. Grrrrrrr...