helping out a friend

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Jul 1, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK folks, a friend of mine has a bt 1800 HG router, they can access the web but only ones that arent secured. But from a laptop they can access any site you can mention. Now apparently they have reformatted the computer and reinstalled the drivers for the router but they are still having trouble

I can see it being a setting on the router side of it but im wondering where to start

Any ideas on this ??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - you don't *need* drivers for this router! I know there is a disk with it, but you don't need it for access!

Next - whan you say "only ones that aren't secured" do you mean HTTPS pages, or unsecured WiFi?

How are they connecting to the router? Ethernet or WiFi?

It *sounds* as if they have some sort of child-protection switched on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

It occurs to me that they are using a USB connection as well as Ethernet on this unit. Correct? If so then it *will* need drivers, but is not the way to get the best from the unit.

Harry.

4. zxspectrum

Hi Harry

The router as i understand it ic connected directly to the computer, via ethernet. This com is where the trouble is only non secure sites can be accessed.

The laptop can access all sites available via a wifi connection

Ed

5. hbroomhall

I understand that you can only report what you are told - which makes life difficult! :biggrin

Is it just the sites that they go to normaly are blocked? Have they tried random other sites?

I'm wondering if they have a hosts/trojan here. I know they said that they had reloaded, but it could be a re-infestation.

Harry.

6. zxspectrum

Hi again Harry

The sites that are blocked are the likes of ebay or any that are ssl secured etc. They can browse the bbc or other sites whenever they want. No w for some reason im thinking its a computer problem.

The router lets the wifi go on any site including ssl sites like ebay, so why not the main computer. Could there be a silly little box that needs ticking/unticking to enable what ever browser she is using to view ssl sites

Ed

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

So they cant access secure sites? Ones that start with https:// ?

Have the security settings been changed in IE?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zxspectrum

Im guessing that they will be the normal default settings, as apparently it has had a fresh install of windows. Its pretty hard to know all of the info at the mo .

She did day its the same with firefox as well

Ed

9. zxspectrum

Just thinkning as well. If she had fully reformatted then the systme will be bug fee. But whats the deal with a boot up disc would this reformat in a full way or would it keep some information for the old set up, which in turn could harbour an existing virus ??

Ed

10. hbroomhall

Depends on how they did the install.

As this is at some remove (a chain of people reporting), and I usualy apply a 90% uncertainty at each transfer point (giggle) then you can see how difficult it is to suggest anything.

Harry.