helpdesk support.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by WIT1000, Mar 28, 2009.

1. WIT1000

WIT1000 Bit Poster

hey guys i have recently passed my mcdst qualification after alot of self study and hardwork.....and even though i feel a great achievement i dont think its enough to get me into a job....i have spent most of my working life in the construction industries and find the career change a bit eyes closed take the plunge kinda thing....i am looking to get some advice on where i might be able to get some helpdesk support logging training or courses?...i just feel that most companies require experience with call logging systems and problem logging systems to the point where i am not sure what kind of software is used for this kind of thing!!........any help much appreciated!! many thanx:D

Certifications: 70-271 mcp
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I am in the same boat as you, try getting some experience i.e in a local computer shop or try doing some work for charities, then hopefully when you go for a job you are interested in, thats should help

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could always download a free helpdesk system and play around with it. The one I use at work is Spiceworks. Apart from a couple of differences, the majority of helpdesk/servicedesk systems are similar.

There are specific courses for individual helpdesk/servicedesk vendors, but I've always found them to be very expensive and since I've never attended one, but have used about 5 different vendor helpdesk/servicedesk software packages already, I'm not about to start saying you have to attend this or that. I will say that if you're interested in the Helpdesk/Servicedesk role, the Service Desk Institute has various Helpdesk/Servicedesk certifications available - from the Analyst to the Helpdesk/Servicedesk manager. These certs concentrates on the job role rather than the software used.

Apart from that there's the Service Desk & IT Support show that you may be interested in, down in London at the end of April, see here.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Usually the companies running helpdesks don't expect you to know their particular one, but will offer training when they employ you. There are so many variations in use a company can't really expect you to know their particular setup.

Having that MCDST and the willingness to learn should stand you in good stead at interviews.

If you want to add to your certs then I'd suggest CompTIA's A+ and Network+.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. WIT1000

WIT1000 Bit Poster

thanks to all 3 guys all have different but valuable advice to offer!!:D

6. WIT1000

WIT1000 Bit Poster

hey john

have you had any luck in getting a job yet?....i feel every job you look at they require at least a yrs worth of experience in helpdesk rolls??

cheers wayne