Helpdesk Support Overqualified

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by happystew, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

How long did it take you to get that position? I'm doing that course at Caledonian the now, it's changed a lot since you've done it but. What did you think of it?

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As you already have a degree you have demonstrated that you can teach yourself. I would suggest getting these two books and see how it goes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCDST-Self-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240436384&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCDST-Self-...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240436384&sr=8-2

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just be lucky that you have a job, no matter what field you are in.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

What Sparky said. I have both of these books and have found them excellent for exam prep. Many others on the forums also recommend them :)

The best of luck with your studies.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Has it changed a lot since 2007 then?

Do they still focus on the wireless and cisco stuff?

it took me about a year to get a job in support, but it was customer based for samsung in a call centre, but that gave me some experience and helped with me getting my job now

Thats cool, might make a purchase of the books then, i take it you can just take the exam at a uni or something?

Certifications: Bsc Hons Computer & Network Support
    WIP: MCITP
  6. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

I've not done any wireless yet. The modules we done this year were: Advanced Routing, Switching, Ethical Hacking and Digital Forensics. Oh and also they project management and integrated projects. Sound similar?

7. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Ethical Hacking and Digital Forensics werent in the module at all, wish they were

was all network design mostly, they spoke about introducing hacking though, is it any good?

8. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Yeah was pretty interesting. It follows the curriculmn of the CEH course you can do, I know a guy who done it last year that is it doing it again this year, think he might have been there when you were studying?

9. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

possibly

i knew a couple of peeps what would have re-sat last year

10. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Baldev, his name is. Ring any bells?

11. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I'm sorry to say but 3 days is too short to evaluate your new IT jobs - even though we all do at some stage in our careers.

I would say don't try to fly too early, walk first. Give it at least a month, before you think about looking for another job. Remember that you are in the early years of your career, the amount of time you do practically at work is important. I would also suggest looking at IT courses in the chosen area, just because you have a degree the training doesn't stop there.

Good Luck.

12. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

nah dont think so anyway

i know i know, was just expecting more

My cv looks suspect applying for other jobs already

edit: and in another unexpected turn i've just received a voicemail for another service desk job i applied for, better money, more of what i want to do but its only on a 3 month contract with possible extension....

my mates works there, a guy who i met when we got our degree, and he said i will learn a lot

but its a permenent contact like the job i have now

i think ill give them a call back and see what they say

advice?

13. jimmy_2k

jimmy_2k Bit Poster

Hey, I haven't had time to read all the responses but I thought i'd drop my expriences in here

I work for a University so also public sector and on my first day it was a case of "the phones ringing, press 8 to answer it" so I grabbed a notepad and a pen and asked the user to explain their issue. I made a note of the key points and managed to resolve it on the first day!

There was little or no documentation to speak of and when I asked questions to the others (who had been there 10 - 15 years) about how to configure some of the bespoke systems like our database front ends they looked at me blankly and said "oh Steve knows but hes off at the moment".

I made good use of Netmeeting to view users issues remotely (YES Netmeeting!) And installed all the bespoke software to my own workstation and started to create documentation on how to install/troubleshoot the programs. It got to a stage within 6 months the others were all asking me when they got stuck on a call.

Needless to say I was sent to do my MCDST and passed

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: 70-270, 70-291
  14. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Good advice all round, cheers guys!

Well the job is more Call Logging that support, there are a few opportunities to remote in and do some trivial things like set up outlook or similar mundane tasks such as resetting passwords, things that a monkey could do.

We have a First Level Support team that we pend most problems to, so not really learning much at all.

Had a one to one meeting with my manager, in which he sang my prasies, but job just getting very dull now and im not sure how long i can hold out.

I need to learn new things before i forget everyting from uni

Acquired some MCDST Material and im gonig to look over it and probably take the exam soon

Not holding my breath for a promotion to the first line support, cause ill only get a chance if some in that department leaves, which could be years!

Still holding out for going out on site with engineers, but im starting to think its not going to happen!

We shall see..........

Sounds bad, you still working there now?

15. jimmy_2k

jimmy_2k Bit Poster

yea I do still work there though as Server Analyst now :biggrin

We don't use Netmeeting anymore, team viewer now which is quite good. I'm doing all the PC imaging with a Senior engineer now so pressures on!

Also just passed my 70-290, in Server 2003 :biggrin Need to get onto the 270 and 291 now (think those are the right numbers just getting over a cold atm)

Personally i've never seen the point in a support tier that just does mundane stuff but I suppose you must have more users. I was supposed to be doing the mundane stuff but it was just easier to remote in and get on with it. First time fix and all that

16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Boring and mundane. Bring it on!
    With no experience I'm working in a pub, populated by casual racists and thugs (as my bruises will testify) because there are no entry-level jobs in our fair capital at the moment*. What you're doing sounds like heaven compared to that. It gives me a lot of good study time during the day though, every cloud etc.

Personally, I'd stick at it. Getting a new employee is sometimes a costly process (adverts, time spent looking over CVs/application forms, time spent interviewing, time spent training etc) so I wouldn't want to look like someone who will cost a company money then jump ship before I've actually been of any real use.

*I'm assuming that's because all the banks laid off a lot of people. There's a surplus of experienced IT techs out there so why would they employ a non-experienced tech? Since you're close to Edinburgh I imagine that has an effect on your job prospects as well.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  17. jimmy_2k

jimmy_2k Bit Poster

You never know though, I managed to get promoted in 18months of being where I am now and considering I accually started as the ex managers assistant! I am in one of those places where people only seem to leave via retirement but suddenly someone did leave and its always best to be an internal candidate

18. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Well someone from "desktop" goes on Maternity Leave in August
    So i could maybe sneak in that way, as i start my one day secondment with desktop tomorrow

But that means they would need to find a temp Helpdesk Operator, even though i think they could manage with two

How knows, im going to keep applying for job! I should Just be happy ive got a job in IT!

19. CyberRob

CyberRob New Member

IM getting really Angry, I WANT A JOB IN IT NETWORKING, BUT CANT GET INTO IT GRRRRRRRRRR:mad

20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Chill out mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs