Helpdesk question

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jodsclass, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Hi Guys just 2 quick questions for you.

1. Helpdesk roles - I worked on a Helpdesk at Manchester Met University for one year and it basically consisted of users coming to my window if they had a query. Could anyone tell me what the role in industry is like or a 1st.2nd line tech. For instance is it predominently telephone based work or customer facing work? Or indeed does this vary company to company. Also in commercial helpdesk roles, what are the general duties? Just so I know as I have 2 interviews lined up for next week and I am a tad unclear if commercial helpdesk roles differ greatly from the helpdesk role at the uni.

2. What is the most common remote software (if there is a most common) used in the support industry. Im wondering if they use programs such as VNC or the built in XP remote desktop, but surely there is a bespoke software applications more able to manage remote users. I'd love to know if there is a defacto program or a most common program so I can get to grips with it. Ive only had experience with the MS remote software and realVNC tight VNC etc.

Thanks guys. Getting nervous about the interviews now, but need to land a job before I run out of cash. Dammed uni bled me dry :blink

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

for remote software, my old place use to use Dameware

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Level 1 and 2 roles tend to vary from place to place. In one company all you may do is answer the phones and deal with the most basic of problems before handing it onto someone else, whereas in another place you may take the call, and have to physically visit the PC to resolve the problem.

There is something of a blur between the various levels, some organisations may have you doing everything! :eek:

4. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

been offered this role. They are offering me more money to consider it, what should I do. Anyone in the know tell me if this looks decent or not from the description?

Junior Desktop Support Engineer to provide first, second and third level support to end users by following Helpdesk calls to completion, accepting system performance feedback, diagnosing and solving actual problems. Escalating call issues with relevant staff, departments and suppliers, in a proactive manner. An essential part of the role will include Installations and support of commercially effective desktop systems, at both a software and hardware level, which meet the current and future needs of the business You will also liaise with end users on assigned projects to identify and specify user/system requirements, Report on all matters affecting the achievement of project and departmental plans and perform General MIS department administration tasks. The Technical experience required includes: 1-2 years experience of desktop support and Microsoft software packages including Windows 2000/XP Operating Systems, Apple Macs. Other areas of experience includes; Ethernet networking, TCP/IP and Remote Control software

cheers
    Jodsclass

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

this sounds like a very decent job, especially if this is your first infotech job to start your career with. it's beyond entry level, and if you feel you're up to the task, then i would say, go for it.

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i agree with D- if your confident you can do it, then go for it! :thumbleft

7. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Thanks d-Faktor. I think I might just for it. Im waiting on them getting back to me regarding the salary. they offered circa £12k and I want circa £14k minimum at this point. Worth a try.

Jodsclass

8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

again, i don't know if this is your first infotech job, and i don't know if 14k is acceptable in the uk, as salaries and cost of living are different here in holland. just don't price yourself out of the market too soon. your first priority, besides earning enough to support yourself and your family of course, is to get in the business and build up that experience. you'll have plenty of time to make demands on future jobs. you'll know when.

9. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

I normally wouldnt ask but the other jobs of similar spec are offering £16k plus here in manchester, and with this one there is a 30 min commute involved so I would prefer to earn a little bit more to cover my time and cost of commuting. I have only asked if they can possibly stretch the salary, I have not said I will not accept the job at the current salary, just that I would like a little more.

I have had 1 year in IT sales and 1 year in 1/2nd line helpdesk as well as a batchelors degree so I think i'm in a posistion to try and push my luck :P Here's hoping, even if they say no I think I might still go for it. Looks like a great lil job role.

Jodsclass
    I guess we will have to wait and see what they say. Fingers X-ed

10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

fair enough, i guess.
    in any case, i hope you get the job. good luck. keep us informed. :thumbleft

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sounds like a great opportunity! :thumbleft

12. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Cheers lads n lasses. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice and support.

Jodsclass

13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well best of luck ta ya Jod. Sounds like a good start if u get it.
    I been for IT interview today, just doin an audit for NHS pratices. Pays around £14k for that but its only a temp job fer few months, just to give ya idea of wages round here (anglia). I think your perfectly right to ask for a lil bit more in the salary stakes so long as your not too greedy :)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  14. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a good jobspec, I'd see what they say about the 14-16k thing.

I find if you've used one remote support tool you've pretty much used them all- same functions just different buttons in different places be it, VNC, SMS, RDC, Altiris, Netmeeting (and any others I've probably missed out :p ).

Have you got interviews for the other jobs or applied for them? That could put you in a stronger position to ask for more from this one.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  15. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Ok Turned one job down becuase it wasnt what I was looking for at all, damned mismatch of skills on behalf of the agency. I have another one on thursday for the Job Spec I showed earlier, and to my delight the job is for Brother UK, so a well established IT firm, which is always encouraging. Im going to just go for it at the current pay rate and see if I get it. £12k is not the greatest however it is a second income to my wifes, and the experience to be gined looks to be invaluable. Also i'm sure being a graduate there will be room for promotion within the company.

Thursdy 1:30pm. Wish me luck, i'll probably need it

Jodsclass

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Luck! :biggrin

17. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Is this Brother UK in Audenshaw? Not that far away from me.

Anyway good luck fella

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Good luck jodsclass!!! :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  19. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Yeah it is in Audenshaw. A bit of a pain in the arse to get too from where I live in manchester as I don't drive but I'm sure I can figure the travel arrangements out if I get the job. Its one of the only tech roles I have gone for as I am concentrating on web design for which I am fully trained. I would like to eventually be profecient in both but no harm applying and maybe getting an early foot in the door.

Jodsclass

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck mate.

Speaking as someone with 14 years experience as a manager in the UK. I can state for the record that 12K would have been a low salary when I left England in 2001. However, I do not mean to put you off, as I am sure that the salary would improve over time and you have to start somewhere. It's just that Brother, with that offer, appear to be taking advantage of the fact that IT jobs are scarce.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)