Help!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Kestrel, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

I was due to start the Comp TIA A+/Cisco IT Essentials Course at Richmond Adult Community College a week today on the 23rd of Febuary. I arrived home last night to a letter from the college informing me the course has been cancelled due to low enrolment numbers. I've been offered the chance to transfer to another course and they do offer a MCDST level 2 course which is supposed to be a perfect compliment to the A+ course according to thier book of courses, but it looks like this one started on the 19th of January. I have left a message with the college asking them to get back to me regarding the availability of this course.

Does anyone here know of any good places in the Kingston/Richmond area that provide the A+ course, as I need to get onto this course asap?

Certifications: ECDL lvl2
    WIP: Profes Diploma in Network Managment
  2. Bigsistermidnight

Bigsistermidnight Bit Poster

Im sorry I cant help you, but why dont you try self studying it. I am doing this myself. There are some days I have to give myself a wee kick to open the book and get the toolkit and pc out, but I really enjoy it. Then you could start it asap.

Certifications: SG Computing Studies(ha ha),ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

The problem is money Bigsistermidnight. After many years in the building trade, the work dried up, then all my savings, so I was forced to give my signature to Mr Blair once a fortnight.

Once in this situation I was able to get on a 13 week course to do an ECDL, not exactly what I want to do, but a qualification none the less and Access is a usefull application for me to know as I want to get into working with servers and a knowlege of data bases is going to be needed.

The beauty of Richmond College was they took on ppl like me and gave them a huge discount on the price of the course. I'm looking around now and I havent found anyone yet who offers such a scheme.

I'm going to email my tutor now and hopefully he will have some idea's of what to do next.

I've got a feeling he's gonna be suprised by the news as it's half term at the moment and he's away for the week, so is probably not aware of the course's cancellation yet.

4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

There's a testing centre in Kingston I was going to take my CCNA at but didn't as they were full on that day. I think they do training as well but I can't find them from the prometric site.

Try these people they have a centre in Kingston:

http://www.pitman-training.com/it_course_list.php?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

Thanks Pete for that.

Phoned them earlier and they no longer do the course :(

I've got a few other leads to try and have been sending out emails all afternoon and hoping for some replys tomorrow.

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi. Sorry to here that your course flopped. If you can't get classroom training there is plenty of help from books, online, test sims and here too. Good luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

8. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

9. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

I am very close to enrolling on a CCNA at Kingston Uni.

My question is this. Does anyone have experience of this course? I havent been able to find a decent A+/N+ course starting anytime soon.

Will I find the CCNA a strugle without completing the A+/N+ first?

:rolleyes: :unsure

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

In my opinion, yes. Unless you have a good foundation knowledge of networking i think the CCNA will be a hard course to start on....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Agree with Boyce here on this one.

I have been a network administrator for around 4 years now and I have found the content I have read from CCNA material to be difficult to understand at times!

Not easy at all.

I think the Network+ will help you, that is the way I am going.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  12. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

Grim

My worst fears have been confirmed.

Thanks lads, thanks a lot

:tongue

/me goes back to seaching for a decent A+/N+ course

:cussing

13. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

Well finally some good news.

http://www.richmond-utcoll.ac.uk/courses/coursedetail.asp?id=321

I've just put down the phone to the tutor of the above course and even though it started 2 weeks ago I'm to turn up on Monday morning to start. Its a perfect stepping stone to the Foundation Degree in IT for e-Business that I mentioned in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

Happy Days!!!

:cheers :rocks :morebeer

14. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Well, the course itself does look quite interesting but, call me picky, you'd have thought that they would have made the effort to make sure the website works in more browsers than just Explorer.....

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  15. Kestrel

Kestrel Bit Poster

I noticed that too, I shall be raising the subject on Monday ;)

Mind you, Kingston Uni's site is a bag 'o shite too, even the Uni staff moan about that one.

:s