HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nelix, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I need to know if, when a users profile is deleted, all the users files are deleted aswell and if that is the case is there ANY way to recover the files

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hmmm, good question, Nelix - but I don't have an answer off the top of my head ... :hhhmmm

I suppose the quickest way to find out would be to re-create the scenario on one of your W2k/XP boxes.

I'll try and find out sometime tonight ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

the files in question are the files stored in the My Documents folder

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hmmm, I created a User called "certforums" and created a folder named "certforums test folder."

I then logged out of "Certforums" user and logged back into my admin account.

I deleted the Certforums user while in the logged into the admin account.

I then firstly checked in Windows explorer and nothing was there, which I expected.

I then performed a search for files and folders, searching for "certforums test folder."

The search resulted in a page with C:\Documents and Settings\certforums\My Documents

and then showed the contents of that account, including the certforums test folder, even though I've just deleted that account.

I'm going to reboot the machine and see if it's still there.

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Still not really looked into it, but I would guess that if you delete a profile, then you are deleting all references to any data associated with it.

However, given the way Windows operates (ie only pointers to sectors on the HDD are wiped, not the actual sectors), I'd imagine User Profiles work in the same way, so in theory, the data will still reside on the HDD.

I'd then guess you'd be looking at something like Norton Unerase, or similar. Could be miles out, tho' ....

I take it you've only gone and deleted the profile that contained your Wedding Lists info, then, Nelix - oh, you'll be in BIG trouble ... :oops:

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

...or what Flex said ... :)

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

OK, now I've restarted the admin account.

I searched for "certforums test folder" and it found it, but this time instead of being under "C:\Documents and Settings\certforums\My Documents"

It was under "C:\Documents and Settings"

Along with the rest of "Certforums" User settings.

I wonder what would happen if a power user created a group, and then deleted it, whether the deleted users profile and settings would be kept in the power users profile, hmmm, I may just check............

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Good follow-on question, Flex, but isn't that where the SIDs (Security ID's) come into play ?

As I recall, you may delete a User acount, then re-create it with identical credentials, but as all accounts have unique SIDs, the new account will not have access to the files of the old one, as the SIDs will be different.

I know that doesn't alter the fact that the "old" data still resides on the hard drive. It would be accessible to the Admin account (which i sure hope Nelix has access to), but not a new user created in place of the old one ....

Just a few thoughts - let us know your results, Flex

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Jak, I don't mean to recreate an account in place of the Power User account.I mean to create another account, just like I did in the Admin account last time, but this time from the Power User account.

Effectively the power user has certain admin rights, but I wanna see if the Power User account acts the same way, as in keeping the folders created on the deleted account create through the power user account.

Sorry if I haven't understood what you said in your last post, apologies in advance if we're getting our wires crossed.

10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Right well I created an account called "certforums two" and added it to the power users group.

I then logged into the "certforums two account" and created a new user called "daffy duck"

While logged in as daffy duck I created a folder in My Documents called "can u see me"

I then logged out of daffy ducks account and logged into "certforums two" power user account.

I deleted the daffy duck account while in "certforums two" account.

I then searched for the "can u see me" document and the search results showed this doc.

However, when I tried to access it, access was DENIED!

So, I logged out of the power user account and logged into my admin account, then searched for the "can u see me" doc, which I found and could also access.

So, it looks like the power user account can't access the folders of deleted accounts, even ones it created, only the admin account can.

Which makes sense I suppose, because you wouldn't want other members of the power users groups accessing files and folders on peoples accounts, because the power user is a mere slave to the almight administrator, creating accounts, but not messing with them.

That's what the mighty Admin is for :alien

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

well just to let you all know what has happened, i was logged on as me and was going to make everyones profile a roaming profile, so i clicked the 'user profile' tab in the 'system properties' dialogue box and was shown a list of all the users on the computer along with 4 entries named 'Unknown Profile' thinking these should not be there and might have been left from when the machine was not on the network i deleted one of them, at that point i looked in the My Documents folder and it was empty, I had folders and folders of photos and loads of documents so there was a good size in MB of information, how can that just disappear in the matter of a second and without even a warning!!!!!!!!!!!

going to see if i can find a copy of Nortons unerase.

And dont anyone ask if I made backups :oops: .......or your barred

12. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have used an unerase program that has found loads of deleted files but not one of them is a file that has gone missing

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Does Norton unerase only work to recover files that have been deleted subsequent to Norton being installed? Just a thought. I image there are more powerful programs and methods of recovering lost data but the are also expensive. If this is a work situation and a work computer, does your department have access to data recovery software/techniques besides Norton?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

From the files that were left over from the deleted user accounts, I deleted one while in the Admin account, and it could be found in the recycle bin.

But when I deleted the Account Unknown in the system properties under the profiles tab, then all files associated with that deleted account were deleted and could be found nowhere, not in the recycle bin at least.

I suppose in order to keep these files, those associated with the Account Unknown (the deleted accounts), you'd have to copy them to the admin account, and then delete the Account Unknown.

Sorry that that doesn't really help you now Nelix, but I think it's worth noting here for reference.

15. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have managed to recover some of m setting, including my outlook settings, email messages, email folders, Web Favourites but thats about it.

I managed this because when i joined this computer to the domain i copied the profile associated with the local logon information to the server so that if, during the process of merging the profile to the network logon profile i would have a backup, however, the contents of My Documents must not have been copied.......BUMMER