Help

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Arunram, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

Hai,
    i have vmware workstation and i have installed server 2003 evaluation version on it. I want to connect my Real xp machine to the virtual server machine. i have tried host only network, but unable to do so..please help me

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If you have configured VMware workstation correctly then your physical machine should have some more IP addresses than it did before you installed WS.

Do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt and have a look at the ip addresses you have. Once you have identified the address used try pinging either the server or workstation from the other device. You should find that they respond correctly (your physical machine should be issuing IP addresses to all devices attached to it, by that I mean the vmware virtual nic on the physical machine as well as on any and all virtual machines.

The next thing I would do is have a look to make sure that the firewall isn't blocking icmp.

Do that and come back with any more information.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

thank god after some research :biggrin i am able to communicate both ways.....my question is there is a class c IP assigned to the virtual nic and using the vmware dhcp service the guest machine is taking the class c ip address ...if i change that class c ip to a class A ip in my virtual NIC in my host, will the guest take Class A ip?

4. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

just now got an idea of changing the network settings and finally got it ...