Help!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nic81, Feb 16, 2009.

1. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Hey!

I need some help...

I have had my first of two interviews for an IT support technician job, the first was more like an informal chat, the second tomorrow. The thing is this my first IT intervew and i dont really know what to expect?! I am usually good at interviews but this has thrown me a little so any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Certifications: None for IT, workng on it
    WIP: MCDST
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Just be honest, confident, try to show your communication skills and relax. I am assuming this is for an entry level role so they will not expect you to be a server expert. You never know they may ask you to do a small test. I have had some interviews where they asked me to solve some simple computer problems. They were very simple, passed all very easily. Usually stuff like the power cord not plugged in or beeping computer because ram is not properly seated. Have to admit i was still scared:p

They may ask you questions about what would you do in this situation... etc Just be honest.

I think with a sprinkling of common sense you will do fine. Good luck, let us know how you got on.:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Yeah it is. I'm still studying MCDST (they know this) so the interview was a bit of a surprise! And they said they were very keen :)

I am just a bit nervous as it's my first actual IT interview. Points taken onboard and i'll let u know how it goes!

Thanks!!

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck for the interview tomorrow, and like dalsoth already said

The amount of people that I've interviewed that have tried to b*lls**t during interviews is not impressive, I would rather a person said "I don't know" than to pretend and annoy me :rolleyes:

You may also get a written test (simple questions) as well as a little practical, this is not there to dismay a person. Good companies/interviewers know that some people may not perform well face to face during an interview & by giving different ways of testing/interviewing a person they can get a better view of the person.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Thanks, i will keep that in mind, i dont think im brave enough to tell lies :) well they know my experience as i spoke to the manager last time i was there, so fingers crossed!!

:)

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Let us know how you get on :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

Dont worry mate, i have got my first interview next week and i know what you are going through, i am from a military background, i have delt with people all round the world but i am nervous bout talking bout my self.
    Best of luck

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS