HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by carlfinn, Jul 3, 2007.

1. carlfinn

carlfinn Bit Poster

hi guys, just taken the 70-271 today and failed it (670), for the second time. To say i feel gutted is an understatment, i have been studying from the ms press book and was getting 90%+ on the transcender stuff. I thought i was ready to nail the exam but still not quite there. I could really do with some advice on extra resources i may be able to access online to swat up on. I didnt think that the ms press book provided me with enough material. Help!!!!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How are you using the Transcender material? Are you taking the tests over and over until you score 90%? If you are, please understand that that's not how practice exams are designed to be used. You should use practice exams to determine if you're ready for an exam and what your weak points are. A practice exam can only accurately gauge your ability the first time you see an exam with all new, previously unseen questions. After you've seen a question even once, you will have subconsciously memorized that question and the answers, which will artificially boost your score when you take that exam (or see that question) again. Therefore, on most vendors' practice exams, you've got three unique shots to determine if you're REALLY ready for an exam.

Taking exams over and over until you get 90% isn't going to help you pass. After all, you won't see ANY of the questions on the practice exam when you go take the live exam. What I would recommend that you do is to read through the explanations of ALL of the questions on the practice exam... even the ones you got right. Know why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. We practice exam writers will often add nuggets of information in the explanations that will help you understand the concepts better, which will help you to pass the live exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

If you have a look in the MS book there are links towards the back for extra reading. And i second what BM has said above, don't overuse the transcender material otherwise it doesnt give you a true reading of your progress and you just end up with a false sense of security.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

I agree with whats been said beforehand, particulary about the trancender practice tests, I was doing the same thing and getting high scores because I did remember the answers, I ended up not using it in the end and did more reading and also found some online demo tests

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with BM also, its is important not to memorize practice questions but to actually understand the question.

Also look at where you didnt do so well on the exam score sheet and work on those areas.

I am sure you'll pass the exam the next time you take. Just pay attention to what you didnt do well on and you will do well the next time.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA