Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Jun 24, 2007.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hey dudes,

I am pulling my hair out on this one. Any advice most appreciated.

XP pro PC with raid 1 mirror. Lightning strike. PSU blown, Mobo blown.Machine was hanging at verifying pool data, tried bios flash, clearing cmos etc. Both parts now replaced. Machine boots to windows XP startup options, safe mode etc, no matter what I select it just reboots. If I put in a seperate HDD with XP on it will load in safe mode. I can then view the two raid drives and view that all the data is still on both. If I only have either one of the raid drives in solo it does exactly, reboots when you would expect the XP loading screen to appear. I installed the Raid floppy for the new mobo but I never get a post or bios option to do anything with it. If I put the raid drives in my PC I can access them from the raid configuration and rebuild mirror etc. Both drives report as healthy. It still however comes up with an error regarding disk configuration and does not load. I was tempted to reformat and reinstall windows on one of the drives but am unsure the correct procedure to then recover the raid setup or even if you can. The PC has various software apps on it and shared network drives that electronic till software writes to so it is essential that when it comes back online the drive setup is identical.
    Like I say any help most appreciated. Been at this since yesterday morning for a mate that runs a golf resort.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you put both disks in the original PC and then break the RAID so it boots off one HD? Then rebuild after.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

When I put both raid drives in the PC they appear under the post but I cant get in to the raid configurator to break them

4. Sparky

What happens when you try to access the RAID config? Error message?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Do you have the make and model of mobo and drives you are using?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Its a winfast mobo, skt574 amd, sorry no further deatails and the drives are seagate barracudas. I am about to try and break the mirror using the raid utility on my PC, asus mobo. I have rebuild, delete and clear disk data as options?

On the winfast although if i boot from xp cd and install the raid driver from floppy I never see an option to configure it. ON my PC during boot it says press f10 for raid config but I never see this on winfast. tab for post and del for setup is all i ever get?

7. Sparky

On the PC that got toasted did you replace the hardware with the same components?

Also if you fire one of the HDs in your PC (ignore the Raid for just now) does it boot up?

8. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

no it doesnt boot at all in either pc, solo or as a pair. and no I couldnt get identical hardware.

Thanks for all the help.

9. Sparky

Ok, if you boot from one HD does it bluescreen?

10. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

It might blue screen but it flashes for like a millisecond and you cant really see. I think it is a bsod but it changes so fast no matter which type of startup I use.

I am not even convinced the raid utility works on this new mobo as I have never seen any mention of it other than when I installed during XP repair bit where you can load Raid drivers. I get XP or 2000 driver choice and choose xp, it adds some files them restarts, then i find no way of entering utility.

11. Sparky

Ok, if you load up XP on your PC and put one of the raid drives in as a slave can you view the files? Perhaps both drives from the raid are playing up?

12. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

You must also remember that if a PC is blown to the extent that you've described, especially through a lightening strike, it is likely that other firmware residing at the lowest level of all components, bar RAM, is most likely scrambled/corrupt either through direct hardware damage or software corruption. You can't directly repair certain low-level components

The only way to nail specific issues would be to test the components individually on a known working configuration.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.