HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by shirley, Jul 18, 2003.

1. shirley

shirley Bit Poster

Hello all, I have just setup a connection for my 2 pcs. One is running Windows Xp and the other 2000(both prof). They both have a NIC and they are connected by a crossover cable. Both the NICs are working properly and both recognize the connection but don't see each other and I can't seem to access anything from pc to pc. I have run network connection wizard on xp and the network setup program on the 2000 pc. As far as I know I have done everything I need to do to set them up but no joy. Can anyone give me some advice please? By the way I am nearly A+ and studying for 70-210 so pretty basic. Thanks.

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Have you installed 'file and print sharing for microsoft window'? also check that the 2 machines have static IP addresses. (

Make sure that you have the same user accounts on both machines,

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Shirley,

First thing I'd do is assign each PC a static IP address (192.168.0.1 and 2, for example). then make sure you have shared foldes on each machine.

Make sure Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print sharing are installed on each. Also, drop the firewall on XP (built-in)

Then try and ping each from the other, and ping themselves with 127.0.0.1

Finally (this DID happen to me) make sure the crossover is actually a crossover. My local "tech" sold me a straight-thru as a crossover, so I trusted him - knackered me for days... :cry:

There'll be more advice along in here shortly, so let us know when you get it solved :P

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Hey shirley, I'm not that much of a techie yet so these are stabs in the dark, have you got them in the same workgroup? Right click My Computer> Properties> Network ID. Like Jak said check the static ip's and use the ping utilily from the command prompt.

HTH :eek:

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Check from OSI level one on up...physical layer. Maybe it's a crossover cable or not, as was suggested...or maybe it's a bad cable altogether. Get a known good crossover and check it.

I can't really add much. It's all been said. After checking a cable, check each NIC by pinging the loopback address 127.0.0.1. Also, can each PC ping it's own static IP address? Can they ping each other (sometimes, you can ping but you still can't see each other in "My Network Places").

Make sure you're using the same subnet! I can't tell you how many times I've seen (and done it myself) this happen. If you're not routing to the internet, any ip address will do. I use a "ten dot" address (10.0.0.0 address with a subnet of 255.0.0.0) would be the broadcast just out of habit since if I did decide to get my network on the internet, my internal addresses wouldn't route out by design. Also, for some reason that doesn't make sense, sometimes, if I use two addresses next to each other (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, it doesn't work. It should and I don't know why it doesn't. I usually have addresses like 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.20 and so on.

If all of the above works, it's in the Windows configuration and I think that's also been pretty much covered.

Let us know how it turns out, Shirley. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. shirley

shirley Bit Poster

Thanks everyone for the help. Since I posted I have tried booting to 2000 on the machine that was xp(I have both os's on that pc!) and I can connect to the other 2000pc without too many problems. I will have to go through all of the above advice with xp to try and get it working and let you know what help I need next! Again, thanks for the advice.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well done, Shirley - that sounds like progress to me :P

8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Just a wee comment about IP addressing

With XP, W2K & W98 all will issue a APIPA IP address so there is no need to enter up a static address.

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Fair point, McSmoothster - reckon I was jumping the gun towards ICS. Your perfectly correct to point that out.

10. shirley

shirley Bit Poster

Thanks for the continued help. Still trying to get xp working with it but 2000 now working fine. I'll let you know the outcome!

11. shirley

shirley Bit Poster

How many posts do I need to fill a pint glass?

12. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

15, and thats cheating :) :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

:P Shirley,

I don't Moderate this Forum, but I reckon you'll find that that kind of posting to gain Pints is due at least a caution :P

(I tried it before, and got busted !!! :cry: ) Lost about 10 posts :cry: