help wiv voice lab pls

Discussion in 'Voice' started by brick-it, Apr 2, 2009.

1. brick-it

brick-it Bit Poster

I have been a telecomms engineer for ages, now i am required to gear up for ip telephony and networking in general, i am the most IT centric of the engineers so i have been elected to go first and mentor the rest (god help them). I passed my 640-822 yesterday 895/1000 (god knows how) , so will be doing the ICND2, CCNA voice, CCVP etc.
    Want to build a lab that will take me through to the CCVP level, i dont think the 2610's we have kicking about will cut it. I am good at ferreting for equipment but want a little help to go in the right direction.

I was thinkin of 1800 or 2800 series routers, i think these can have DSP modules and voice cards that can be fitted, and 500 series switches (dont know if older ones support IEEE power).

I happened accross a 50 user ASA5505 in a box of junk in a liquidation auction, was gonna keep for future projects, will have to see if i can make a back to back VPN or something.

hope it all makes sense :rolleyes:

Certifications: HNC comp, C&G Electronics, CCNA voice
    WIP: CCNA security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats, and welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, I'm horrible with lab recommendations... perhaps someone else can assist!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. oush

oush Byte Poster

For a voice lab grab the following:

3550 Switches
    1760 Router
    3640 Router

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  4. Septima77

Septima77 Nibble Poster

I recommend the following gear:
    2611xm router with 128 MB RAM + 48 MB flash, nm-2v + 2 fsx + fso, wic-1T, plus an ios with cme 4.1
    3640 router nm-2v + 2 fsx + fso, wic-1T, plus an ios with cme 3.3
    3524XL switch (supports voice vlan and dot1q trunking)
    2 x 7940 IP phones with sccp images, 4 analog phones, 2 pc's for tftp and CIPC 2.0
    When you are eBay savvy this will not kill your bank account.

If money is no issue:
    2801 router with cme and cue
    2 x 3550/3560 L3 switches with PoE
    2611xm router nm-2v + 2 fsx + fso, wic-1T
    2 or 3 7960/70 IP phones with sccp images, analog phones

Certifications: CCNA CCNAS CCNAV
    WIP: CCVP