help with workgroup?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Danmurph, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just patch the wireless point into the switch and then connect the laptop to it through the wireless settings and you should be good to go. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

easily said sparky my friend, unfortunately not easily done....the adapter to recieve wireless is usb, my switch is 8 way ethernet....try this, ok so ive got the access point going into comp 1, an ethernet going from the network card on comp1 & comp2 into the switch, ive tried assigning static ip addresses to both machines and although the machines can talk to each other neither can get on the internet, when I try its trying to go through the LAN connection not the access point, I know there is a way to do this but I can't figure it out,
    ok we have three tcp/ip configurations to consider:

1.wireless access point
    2.comp1
    (both of these on the same machine)
    3.comp2

How do I configure each:

ip address
    default gateway
    dns server

I also thought I should turn off dhcp coming from the router if I want to do it this way? Is that right? does this make sense?

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  3. Sparky

Hmmm, tricky. :hhhmmm

Ok first thing to do is run ICS on the computer with the wireless card. Does it allow you to share the wireless connection?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

no it comes up with that error that I reported earlier in this thread about LAN IP addresses, also should I reset the router to act as dhcp?

5. Sparky

I think the IP address has to be in the 192.168.0.x subnet as that is the default for ICS. Try giving the wireless connection the IP address 192.169.0.1

6. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

it comes up with an error saying there is an ip conflict in the system, comp1 (lan) - 192.168.0.25, comp 1 (adapter) 192.168.0.1, comp2 192.168.0.26

7. Sparky

If you ping 192.168.0.1 when ICS is off do you get a reply?

I think that may be your Sky Router...

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

This issue seems bizarre, not sure why you are trying to use ICS when this router should be giving you connectivity.

If you have a wireless router, go into its config page, there should be something along the lines of a network section, within that will be settings for DHCP, here you can set a scope, use something along the lines of 192.168.0.50 - 100, set the dns server and default gateway/router (if it asks, set these to 192.168.0.1, which is a good address to give to your router)

Somewhere possibly the same page, you should be able to give the router a static ip address, such as 192.168.0.1, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Allow it to automatically recieve DNS server addresses, as this should be the address of the ISPs DNS servers.

On the clients, set them to automatically configured, which means they will send a request to the network they are attached to and the best DHCP server that replies, they will get an address, you really should have your server turned off at this point, as we want to use the routers DHCP capabilities.

(If you really want your clients to be static give them 192.168.0.100 - 200, mask of 255.255.255.0, DNS and gateway set to 192.168.0.1)

With luck (assuming you have set up wireless ok), your first client pc should obtain its address (use start - run - cmd - ipconfig) and it should be something like 192.168.0.50, subnet of 2555.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.0.1

If for some reason its not connecting at this point, or you have been unable to connect at any point to its config, disconnect the router from the wall, take it to your PC and connect it via ethernet cable, enable your wired lan, and this should use the router for DHCP to obtain an address, from here you can sort any wireless issues out via the config page.

At this point you should be able to ping the router, this confirming connectivity to the router.

ICS, as others have said, is basically for a windows based PC to share its internet connection, and in a router setup shouldnt be enable, as ICS acts as a DHCP and DNS server, so would cause problems.

APIPA addresses are basically when a DHCP server cannot be reached (and are designed to provide local connectivity for a couple of PCS in a basic environment) so they shouldnt be used.

To summarise (if the above doesnt work) probably the best bet is to copy down your ISP connection settings, factory reset the router, connect it via ethernet to a client, configure your settings via the internet config page (with wireless set up unprotected at this point), remove the ethernet cable, ping the router to ensure it can connect via wireless, plug into phone line and away you go

Then configure the wireless.

Remember ping is your friend, so use it at every stage to confirm connectivity

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal