help with workgroup?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Danmurph, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Got a really frustrating problem, I cant for some reason get two computers to join a workgroup without a server being connected to the switch????
    Both machines are set up with the same workgroup name, dhcp/dns are set to recieve automatically, when I plug both machines into the switch they try and connect but cannot. The only time I can get them to connect is if I plug a domain server (dhcp/dns/file server) into the switch. I dont even join the computers to the domain. I really dont understand what im doing wrong, please can someone help me,

Thanks

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Have you got NetBIOS enabled?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

What's the DHCP server when the server is not connected to the switch?

WIP: LIFE
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Do the two machines get IP addresses from anywhere? E.g. When a server is attached, it provides IP's via DHCP. Without the server attached, does a router or anything perform this function? Can the two machines 'talk' at all. Can you open up a command prompt, type ipconfig /all to get the IP, and then from the other machine, try and ping (ping 192.168.1.32). If ping returns a reply, then the machines can see each other.

If the ipconfig command doesn't show an IP address, or has an IP in the 169.254.*.* range, consider assigning static IP's to each machine in the same subnet.

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you ping each PC by IP address and name?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

How do I do that?

I thought the machines used apipa whilst in a workgroup, I do have a router providing internet, but ive tried with and without and still no luck..

they cant communicate because they cant establish a connection? I dont understand I thought it was as simple as plugging both machines into the switch and naming a workgroup??
    Ultimately all im trying to do is share the internet connection form one machine with ics within the workgroup, I thought a quick click and re-plugging.........4 hours later!! :(

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Open up the properties of the network connection on each machine and, under the TCP/IP settings, choose the 'WINS' tab. There are three options there - the first is to use the settings provided by DHCP, you want to select the second radio button marked 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'

Then, give both machine static IP addresses in the same private range (192.168.1.20 & 192.168.1.30 for instance), ensure that the workgroup is the same name for both and that you have identically named accounts on each PC with the same password, and have shared at least one resource on one of them that you can browse to the other from.

I've not set this up for years (and I mean years - almost decades in fact!) but I think that, provided ICS is enabled on the 'gateway' PC you should then be able to give the PC acting as a 'client' (not strictly correct terminology, but can't think of a better way to put it) the gateway's IP as it's DG to get ICS working (someone will shoot me down if I'm wrong about that, I;m sure!)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Sparky

If you follows Zebs advice that should work. It is worth noting when you switch on ICS that PC also acts as a DHCP server.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

ok guys,

the machines are connected and I can ping one another, i entered static ip adresses in each, what do I use as dns as I still cannot access files on each machine, also when i try and enable ics i get this:

an LAN connection is already configured with the ip address that is required for automatic private ip addressing,

I dont understand, I was under the impression that this was something really easy to set up, ive even tried running the wizard and that doesnt seem to help, is the hardware right, am I suppose to be using a switch?

10. Sparky

What IP address does your PC have and is it a static one?

Also what router\modem are you using to connect and is is a USB modem.

11. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

the static ip address im using for the LAN is 192.168.1.25, the ip adress that the router is providing is 192.168.0.2

Im using a wireless belkin adapter to connect to a sky sagem router

12. Sparky

13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

And how did you pass your exams?

14. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Its on the other side of the room, I wish I could do that, even if I could I want to figure this out now :D

Its all very straight forward in theory, but as you know sometimes you encounter problems, I could tell you over and over theoretically how to set up a workgroup from what I have learned form my exams, Im asking for help because in this instance it doesnt seem to be working. Obviously I dont have alot of hands on experience and I need to start work in the industry pretty soon :oops:

15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Fair enough...

16. Sparky

ICS is generally used when a PC has a USB modem (or even a cable modem) and you want to share it with other PCs on a network which are connected through a basic switch.

In this case if the router itself has a four port switch then you would be best just patching the devices into that.

Going back to the original problem, take out ICS for now and make sure your PCs are configured for dynamic IPs. Right click on the LAN connection and select repair. Make sure both can browse the web, if they can then try pinging each device by IP address.

If the ping doesnt work try switching off Windows firewall as a quick test.

17. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

ok,

I have got to retire now as im a postman by mornig (bloody early mornings), Ill start again tomorrow, Im going to take out the internet adapter completely and just use the two machines and the switch, I think im getting really confused now but if I do this where do the machines get their IP addresses from (apipa?) and how do they communicate by name, im so tired now :(

Thanks everyone for your help so far

18. Sparky

No probs mate...

19. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

On your pc whether its running Vista or XP click on start, scroll to help and support when the help and support window pops up type ICS on the search bar.. you will see titles on guides hoe to succesfully run ICS...

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  20. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

I have been really stupid and completely confused myself, Ive got it into my head that Ive done this before when in fact I connected the router to the switch and then the computers to the switch!! What an idiot! :oops:
    Right now Im going to see if it is possible to share the internet connection from the access point throughout the workgroup using ics, any ideas throw them in the mix!
    Sigh of relief though people, I though I was going mad!!!

Thanks for all your help again

Danny