help with using duel moniters on dell gx270

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by usfoods darrell, Aug 19, 2008.

1. usfoods darrell

usfoods darrell New Member

Was hoping someone could answer a question for me. I am trying to hook up duel moniters on a dell optiplex gx270. I have the on board video and I used an agp slotted nividi video card. It appears that the agp card is canceling out the on board video. Is there a setting that I can change that will allow it to see both, or do I just need to put a pci slotted card in. I saw in the bios where you could set to auto or agp on the moniter, course neither setting made a difference.:rolleyes:

2. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

not entirely sure on this but I think you will need a splitter cable to plug into the graphics card port as inserting a card does, as you say, disable the onboard video output. At least thats the way it works with my HP machines.

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  3. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

As far as i know what Jiggy says is right, the onboard gets made redundent when a new card is slotted in, if the card does not support 2 monitors (2 vga connections or 1 vga 1 DVI) then you will need a splitter Im afraid

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with what's already been said.

We have Dells at work - to get our dual displays on them, we nabbed USB Dynadock modules (usually use em for our Tosh lappies) and used their VGA ports. Useful to have though, as you get the extra USB ports too, in case you want something a bit more functional than a splitter...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA