Help with subnetting

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by rock571, Nov 14, 2012.

1. rock571

rock571 New Member

Hello All:
    I have a splinter in my shoe, so to speak, presented with this problem which i can't come up with the answer because my subnetting experience is not great at all:

"Give the networks that would result from dividing the 192.168.0.0/16 network into 4 networks of equal size."

I am sure someone knows the solution to this; it is a real life question presented to me and I couldnt answer it.
    Any help is most appreciated.
    thhanks all.

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

you would need to borrow two bits from the next octet to split it into 4.

So you would end up with:

All with a /18 subnet.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    rock571 likes this.
  3. rock571

rock571 New Member

Looking at it makes lots of sense; I was close, at least understanding the borrowing bits but couldnt get the resulting networks; which means I am far from ready in subnetting; I wish i could do it always so I just learn it; this results are part of a writtent interview test but i was quick to mention i had to dig out the answer not that it came from me because answering right they will assume i know something i really don't know that well; but i felt it would be better to show them i managed to get the answer even when i don't know it rather than just saying a plain "I don't know how to resolve that"

I understand lots of stuff on subnetting but since i do not subnet for a living, it all goes in forgotten mode from time to time; i have done my studies on CCNA and CCNP short of taking the exams because why acumulate one more paper that shows no experience? it is irrevelant these days having certs if one does not have a hiring manager friendship or simpathy. The only way to get to know anything is doing it over and over every day, every time, not just because we read it once it will stick unless one have a photographic memory; i don't have that!!

Thank you very much for the help; I assure you you will get the credit for the answer, not me.