Help with spanned volumes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gary_potten, Sep 8, 2006.

1. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Just need a bit of advice really, i have a computer that has been screwed up by someone. it has 6 hdd. 1 is used for the OS (XP sp2) the rest have been spanned into one large volume.
    I need to reinstall the os from a ghost image taken before the span was created with disk management in windows.

If I reload the ghost will the spanned volume still be visable?

Cheers

WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm assuming that the spanned volume was created using Windows, and is not a hardware based solution? If this is the case then I think that it may be unable to see the spanned volume, however you may still be able to read the data from the seperate disks since it will have filled one disk before moving onto the next.

This is not something that I have seen before really as I can't see why anyone would want to create a spanned volume. Striped to enhance performance, yes, but spanned?

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I *think* you may be able to get away with it. Restore the O\S to the main hard drive and then get into Windows.

Start disk management and all the spanned disks should show up foreign. The following link explains how to import disks that are listed as foreign, you have to import them all to make sure the spanned volume works. 8)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222189/

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs