help with sharing folders

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Danmurph, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

Ok so ive got server 2003 running and ive got my xp machine communicating with the server....GREAT!!! (only took me three hours to realise that the firewall was blocking the connection (school boy error!) :oops:

Can anyone tell me how I can access a folder from my xp machine that I have shared on the server??? Im really struggling,
    I can share the folder but when I try to access it from my XP machine where and how do I do that??

Thanks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

type "\\servername\shared folder name" in run
    or net use T: "\\servername\shared folder name" from command line will map it in my computer as the t drive.
    Or browse via My Network Places

WIP: LIFE
  3. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

I tried this and when I type it in run i get: \\danny-server the network path was not found
    When I search my network places I go inside the icon for my domain and the only icon there is the one for the client computer,

Would you be able to talk me step by step how to share a folder on the file server and then access it from a client machine, Im sure its something silly that im missing, I just have no-one to ask, im trying to follow websites, Im doing exactly what they are telling me and I just cant seem to get it to work

Thanks mate..

4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I'm not an expert on this Dan but are you sure that your firewall is not blocking the connection?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have you tried mapping a network drive to the location.

Click on Windows Explorer from your XP Machine > Tools > Map Network Drive > Choose A Drive Letter > Locate Shared Folder On Server > Tick Reconnect At Logon

Hope that helps.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Does your windows Server have DNS installed on it and is it maintaining DNS records for your internal network?

Is your xp machine part of the same domain as the Windows server?

Can you ping the server by IP address?

Can you ping the server by hostname?

Can you see the share if you enter \\serverIP\sharename?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  7. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Option 1:

Check the firewall is on/off on the xp machine

Option 2:

Are you using DHCP for your XP machine or static ip? Check you have the correct dns entry ;)

Option 3:

Either check that dns is running on the server by looking at program files > administrator tools > manage server. You should see DNS in there.

Or

On the xp machine you can go to run and enter "cmd" or go to all programs > accessories and then click the command prompt icon.

In the command prompt do:
    ipconfig /flushdns

then:
    nslookup danny-server

Replace danny-server for what you server name is and see if it resolves to an ip

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx>nslookup danny-server
    Server: danny-server
    Address: 172.28.28.10

Name: danny-server
    Address: 172.28.28.10

^ should look something like that if it resolves. This will see if the xp machine can contact the 2003 machine for DNS.

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

*bah*

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

A couple of software possibilities to add to the mix

On the Windows XP pc a possibility is the computer browser service is disabled or not running.

Check your network card properties (where you find tcp/ip etc) and make sure the client for microsoft networks is ticked.

This is just from experience, have known these 2 stop working.

Also not sure if this has been suggested but try using the \\servername\share on the server as well, if it doesnt work there then the above could be true on the server also the server service could be stopped.

We have loads to check here so let us know how you get on

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Some great suggestions here guys,

I'm away from the computers at the moment, im on my way to another fabulous workshop run by advent, I will check when I get back on Friday,

Thanks for the help, hugely appreciated..I will keep you updated on the progress :D

11. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

SO ive got the machines talking to one another and am able to share resources using administrator accounts,
    it appears the reason I was having difficlulty was because I was using a user account and it doesn't have the right to do alot by default....which leads me on to my next question.....how do I change this other than adding it to the administrators group, I am a bit confused..is it group policy? Permissions? :oops:

Thanks

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you get an error message when you tried to access the share previously? Like a 'access denied' kinda thing. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

It said this, \\danny-server the network path was not found....I understand why it is saying it because i am able to access the shared folders when I am logged onto the domain as an administrator or I add the user to the administrators group so connectivity is not the problem, what I cant seem to fathem out is how to change the...permisson/policy :rolleyes: for the user I want to access the shared folder and to perform other tasks
    does that make sense???
    Basically giving the user more rights to perform tasks and access resources within the domain :D

14. Sparky

Weird, have you set the share up on a domain controller?

The error message seems to relate to name resolution although you seem to be able to access the share when logged on as admin for some reason.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  15. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

I think so :oops:

I installed server 2003, then followed the server wizard, I set up dns, dhcp and file sharing, I reckon (from what I can see) that the default account for when you create a domain user is not allowed to do much, I just don't understand how to allow the user the rights/permissions to do it, can you tell me where or how I do this?
    I don't really know, I kinda understand bits and peices...

16. Sparky

Ok, try setting up another share on the DC and see what happens.

1) Create a folder called 'Share' in the root of the C: drive
    2) Right click on the folder, select 'sharing and security'
    3) Select 'Share this folder'
    4) Click on the 'Permissions' button
    5) For the 'everyone' group make sure 'full control' and 'change' options are selected. Click Ok.
    6) Go to the Security tab and then select the 'users' group
    7) Tick the 'full control' box at the top. Click OK.

Close all Windows.

Then on your test PC, reboot it, log onto the domain with a user account and type \\danny-server\share at the run line (start>run)

Does it open up ok?

17. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Thankyou very much man,
    Just tried this and it works perfectly!! :D

18. Sparky

No probs mate :thumbleft