Help with my CV please.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aaforthenow, Jul 28, 2011.

1. aaforthenow

aaforthenow New Member

Hi guys. I have been applying for IT jobs for the last month or so (mainly 1st line support roles). I have probably sent off for around 40+ different jobs, but as yet have had no replies. I think my CV looks OK, but maybe some one might be able me to improve it a bit, or suggest any alterations that I can make. I have also have a bullet point list of my key skills, but I am not sure where to place these on my CV. Thanks very much for any help and advice with this.

Attached Files:

2. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

Your skillset is ok at first glance and you need to build some of that into your CV, heres some points for you.

1. Personel profile goes at the top - get rid of the career objective it doesnt do you any good it makes you seem ermm "wanty?" if that makes sense, its not about what you want its about what they want. Just stick with a personal profile, take the hobbies out of your personel profile and create a new header at the bottom of the page for interests & hobbies. Also expand upon your personel profile a little try to make it more engaging.
    2. Make a new section for your key skills, include some of the hot skills from your skills.doc like "Experience in Active Directory" "Excellent communicator" etc etc
    3. Sound engineer - Thats good i know a sound engineer is quite techy and plays with alot of cool software and hardware - but you havnt talked about any of it! Talk about how your responsible for planning and organising client sessions, setting up the hardware & various software and providing support to your clients when necessary etc. Expand upon it your not doing yourself justice with this role.

In other words its a little bland and theres quite alot wrong with it. I saw a poster down the road the other day for free CV advice etc maybe if theres something like that where you live you should pop in to get some advice on getting the best out of your skills on your CV as from your skills doc you have a lot of interest in IT but none of it is coming out on your CV.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. aaforthenow

aaforthenow New Member

Thanks for your reply and advice. I will take your advice and try and rearrange my CV in accordance with your suggestions. I am starting to understand why I am not get any responses from employers now. Thanks once again.