Help with memory problems please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ginge2k7, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

I've just gone to a local store thats part of a big chain of stores to get some more memory for my pc. I bought what is described on the sticker as a PC133 512Mb SDRAM DIMM. It was also labelled as second hand or previously used.
    The DIMM has 8x64Mb chips on it so one would presume that makes a total of 512, only to my horror when i installed it it only registers as a 256Mb DIMM.
    So what i would like to know is it something wrong with the DIMM or my motherboard? as ive looked on the support pages for my pc (HP Deskpro 7870 Pentium 3 1Ghz) and it says that the max my pc can take is 512Mb but doesnt state if that means 2x256Mb or just the single lot of 512Mb?
    Should I go back to the store and demand a refund or is it a problem on my end?
    Help would be grately appreciated, thanks.

Certifications: School of life (and a few GCSE's)
    WIP: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have been looking on the web and believe the maximum amount of memory the computer can hold is 512MB from what I have seen if you want 512MB then you need two 256MB dimms it will not accept one.

That is probably why it has halfed the actuall amount from 512MB - 256MB it is expecting another module.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree. One of the classic problems with older motherboards and newer memory is where the motherboard only recognizes part of that new memory - very often only half of it.

When this happens take the memory back and exchange it. Basicaly it is not being recognized correctly by the motherboard.

Depending on the actual model you may be able to get more memory on it - but you need 'less dense' memory sticks.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Ok guys I'm even more confused now, because i had one single stick of 128Mb in there before and it was recognised for what it was, so why when this stick is the same speed and even manufacturer should it only recogise half of it just because its 512Mb?
    I dont think they had any 256Mb in there and its not cheap to buy new.

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Because the new stick is 'higher density' than the old one, and the motherboard doesn't recognize it.

This is a common problem.

Take the stick back and explain, and if the dealer is any good they'll dig out another one for you to try.

Edit: re-reading the original post - you would do better getting a 256 to take the total up to 512. Don't forget that Win9x, which was common around the time that machine was built, would only handle 512M safely.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Ginge2k7 - do you have the motherboard manual?

If not, can you track it down on the net and print it off?

Having the manual and checking exactly how the ram can be configured for your motherboard is stongly advised. I would never buy ram for any mobo without first checking the mobo manual and the limits on types and configuration of ram.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

You could confirm what your pc can take by going to www.crucial.com.uk and select "scan my system" this will tell you what you can use. You can even purchase it from them. If your RAM isnt supported, then just return it.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Raf you're a lifesaver mate !
    this is what the crucial scanner said:
    "Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 256MB per slot.*
    So im going to leave it in for now (good idea or not?) and swap it for 2 lots of 256Mb in a few days

Case closed, cheers for your help guys :)

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Like I said, what I found on the net said your system wont take one 512MB dimm it needs 2 at 256MB to be running at 512MB

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?