help with Comptia Security+ points system

Discussion in 'Security+' started by cookie1989, Mar 5, 2008.

1. cookie1989

cookie1989 New Member

Hi,

Im looking for a bit of help!

Ive got my first ever IT exam on Friday morning and its the security+ exam.

Im stuck on how the pass mark goes what do they mean by you need 764 to pass on a 100-900 scale :rolleyes:

what sort of percentage does the pass mark work out to?

any help will be appreciated.

thanks

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You're correct. The pass mark is 764 out of 900. This means you have to get 85% or more to pass.

All the best... what did you use to study?

3. cookie1989

cookie1989 New Member

wow 85% is quite steap then! actually i spose your allowed 15 out of 100 wrong then...

ive been using All In One Security+ by Gregory White and Exam Cram practise questions and test sims.

thanks for the good luck ill let you know how i get on.

4. GiddyG

Yup, tough and expensive. I used the Sybex Sec+ book, and I know others have used the Syngress (sic) book as well. If you have studied the Net+ previously, or if you have a security or networking background, then I believe this will help.

I baulked at the £175 plus price when I went to book it. I will take it, but only after I have studied a couple more 'less expensive' options.

Do you work in the security area then?

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In fact we don't know in detail how the marking works. It is suspected that some questions carry more marks than others.

In addition there may be some unmarked questions in there which CompTIA are trying out.

So percentages are only approximate.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. GiddyG

Very true Harry.

I was working on the basis of (764/900)*100. This does not necessarily equate to getting 85 questions out of 100 correct, rather the fact that the calulcation does work out at 85%. My 'yup' was in reponse to the 'quite steep' comment. :oops:

7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

That is not quite correct as the scoring range is from 100 to 900.
    So 100-900 with pass mark 764 would be the same as 0-800 with passmark 664 which gives you 83%. That is 83% of the points, which is not nessesarily the same as 83% of the questions.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Indeed! The CompTIA scoring system remains one of lifes greatest unsolved mysteries! Questions are weighted, meaning that a complex question with several 'right' answers, but a only one 'correct' answer will carry several points whereas a relatively simple question with an obvious answer will carry maybe 1 or 2 points. Don't take that as a hard and fast rule though.

A little advice on your first exam (in fact every exam)..

1. It is NOT a race to finish in as quick a time as humanly possible.Take your time, relax and start your exam when YOU are ready.

2. Read each question slowly and thoroughly. Know what the question is actually asking you.

3. If in doubt about an answer you should read the question again and eliminate the wrong answers. If you are still undecided then move on the next question and before the end of the test you will be given the opportunity to review your answers,use it.

4. Dont worry about how many questions you are allowed to get wrong!!! Concentrate on getting all your answers correct.

5. The time allocated to your exam, 90 minutes if i'm not mistaken, is a loooong time believe me. It gives ample time to take a short 'breather'-compose yourself and carry on.

6. CompTIA are often quoted for asking poorly written questions and i've no doubt you've read about this along the way. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!! I have sat hundreds of these questions and not once have I been either confused or misled through poor presentation. Some questions need to be read more than once, they are written to confirm your understanding of the subject in hand and are not there to trip you up. CompTIA WANT you to pass.

7. Confidence and posotive thinking are the key elements here my friend. Know your material, know why an answer is right, but just as importantly know why it is wrong.

Good luck and chin up.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...IF all the questions are weighted equally.

Plus, Tinus' calculations are accurate... it's 83% of the points (not necessarily 83% of the questions).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As someone who has seen multiple iterations of CompTIA exams (likely well over a couple THOUSAND questions), AND as someone who has to write practice questions based on those poor questions, I must wholeheartedly disagree with you. There are WAY too many CompTIA questions that are horribly written... ambiguous scenarios, multiple correct answers, no correct answers... many of the questions are simply written by people who have no business writing technical exam questions. Period.

If you truly believe that the questions are not poorly written... then all I can say is that you either haven't taken very many CompTIA exams (you hold only two CompTIA certifications), or you don't have the technical expertise to know how poorly they are written. I hate to say that... but there's really no other way that you can truly believe they're well written.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Then maybe i should add " in my experience......"?

Certifications: A+ Network+
  12. GiddyG

ROFLMAO... OK, OK... the passing score is 764 out of a total score of 900... regardless of whether you start at 100, and only have to get another 664 to pass.

Sheesh! I only came online to say hi... :)

My head hurts now...:eek:

13. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I'm allways glad to help...... things from bad to worse.:biggrin

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  14. GiddyG

Heh heh... you old dog, you... 8)