Help with career change - Retail to IT Technician

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Macevelli, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Macevelli

Macevelli New Member

All,

I am 25 and have worked in retail for the past 9 years and have decided that its about time to stop doing whats easy and mundane and start doing something challenging and something that I will enjoy and make a career out of it!

I am looking to go into the field of IT Technician / Support. I have researched the job role, qualifications etc, but Im having little joy when applying for jobs.
    I am looking to start a CompTIA A+ at a local college in September, and I am assuming that as I have no relevant IT qualifications (I have a City & Guilds in Advanced Web Design) my CV isn't even being looked at. I have 9 GCSE's and an A-Level in History, however I am finding that alot of jobs desire candidates educated up to graduate level.

Can any one give me any advice into what steps to take to get into Technical Support as a career. I have looked at applying for 1st Line Helpdesk roles, but all seek previous experience in the role.

Is the CompTIA course going to help or am I wasting my time? Is there anything else such as job sites, training sites, companies that take on some kind of Junior/Trainee apprentices maybe??? Anything that will help me get my 'foot in the door'?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: C&G Diploma in ICT Systems Support
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome :)

The 3 or 4 main certs for entry level/level1 support is the following: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCDST and to a lesser extend the MCTS Vista.

Unfortunately there is no quick way into IT, especially in todays market (due to the recession). Even without the recession, it can take months or even years to enter (it took me 5 years).

You could take a look at volunteering at local schools, local IT shops, etc to help build experience. Study for the above certs, and build up your soft skills. Another thing you may want to do is to look at and re-do your CV, design it specifically for each job you apply for and not just have a generic CV.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Spot on advice from Ken there, what he said basically Oh and good luck ... :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Macevelli

Macevelli New Member

Thanks for the advice :D

Any advice on where I can look for volunteer work and how to write a specific CV?

Certifications: C&G Diploma in ICT Systems Support