help with 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Danmurph, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi guys,

So I've read the microsoft press book and have just started with the trancsender test software. Im a bit worried though as am scoring is pretty low, around 60%. The main problem is the length of the questions by the time i've got to the end of a question i've forgotten the biggining part. :oops: Can anyone give me any tips on where to go from here,

thanks

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The questions are likely that long... get used to them.

Being intimately familiar with the technology is crucial to being able to quickly digest big questions like that. That's why Microsoft recommends 6 months to a year of real-world server administration experience before pursuing the 70-271 exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

May sound silly but have you tried reading the answers first, then read the question. I have found this to be much easier as most of the time 2 answer have not relation to the question. Once you start reading the question, you may find you only get halfway reading it when you know which one of the answers is right.

This is what a friend taught me to do and it has worked so far on my voyage to becoming Microsoft certified.

Regards

Toasty

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to put my head on the block and ask: do you mean desktop administration ?

:behead

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I agree with toasty.

I tend to read the answers, then read the question. Once I've done that I tend to skim the question seeing which bits match up with the answer.

To be honest the practice tests tend to be harder (in my opinion) than the exam.

I would definitely review your grades at the end of the exam and see if any areas are particularly weak. The questions are long winded, but this tends to be because they want to include some irrelevant information to make sure you know what you're doing.

It might be worth having the good old pen and paper to write down relevant points.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I have the same problem, by the time i finish reading the question.................i forgot the start!!! why do they make the questions so long when most of it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the question!!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah... that is so that you can show you can weed out the rubbish and get to the pertinent points in the question, to lead you to the right answer(s)... :D

8. BosonMichael

Whoops... you are right - I had 70-291 on the brain, not 70-271. Thus... I go onto the block!

6 months of desktop administration would be more appropriate. MS used to have that recommendation on their 271 or MCDST site... not sure if it's still there or not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. zapski

zapski Bit Poster

The waffle-factor in MS exam qns is truly astounding (and generally, appallingly written). In fact, they should issue a certification in deciphering their qns (request for cert title suggestions - an MCBT - bullsh*t detector?)! I guess, for them, it's another layer of obfuscation, you need to be alert during these exams.

For revision I've been hacking the qns back to their bare bones, as it's so painful reading their verbose, badly worded rubbish.

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you think MS questions are badly written Zapski, I guess you haven't taken any CompTIA exams yet. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Because that's the sort of thing you will get from the users, a whole lot of useless information and you have to pick out the relevant pieces of information to solve the problem.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Great advice there Toasty, I think I'll try it out. Thanks. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. zapski

zapski Bit Poster

With respect, nugget, I'm not convinced by this. Firstly, I think this possibly assumes users are idiots who are at best unhelpful, and at worst... well, take your pick. This, of course, is a total fallacy.

Secondly, if you're troubleshooting a problem for a user, you, the techie, should be in the driving seat ie. asking the right questions, working with a sound troubleshooting methodology etc. In my humble opinion, I don't think you should let the user bombard you with a tonne of random, possibly unrelated, info and lead you down the garden path - as MS do with their tedious cert qn format.

I do have non-MS certs to my name (Sun) and their qns, by contrast, are pithy and focussed.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need to avoid the pointless info in the question (which is a skill) and just focus on the areas that will help you answer the question.

The 70-297 has massive questions btw! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

I envy you zapski. You must deal with a higher grade of users than I do! :)

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  16. Xenophon

Xenophon Bit Poster

I find it helps to pick out the important bits and write them out seperately and look at them. Depends on the question though. Works for me with some questions where you may have a list of groups, domains and/or server names for example and its easy to get confused with what goes where.

Certifications: A+, N+, 70-210, 70-270, MCSA 2003
    WIP: CCNA or 70-293 (not sure yet)
  17. zapski

zapski Bit Poster

Nah, come to think of it... mybe I got that wrong! My new mantra from now on is: all users are losers.

18. Xenophon

Xenophon Bit Poster

That may be true however what is certainly true is that without users we would all be without jobs! :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, 70-210, 70-270, MCSA 2003
    WIP: CCNA or 70-293 (not sure yet)
  19. BosonMichael

Exactly right. The job of ANY IT tech - from helpdesk/desktop support to network administrators - is to enable end users to access the data required to do their job effectively. They are the sole reason we exist.