Help Wireless IP needs Renewing every time!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Gavin cass, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

I have a laptop and a server pc that are connected over wireless through my Negear modem.
    However my connection between the laptop and server often fails, and i have to renew the IP address each time on the server.

The netgear modem must have some sort of inbuilt DHCP which is handing out IPS and confusing the whole set Up, what am i doing wrong? :rolleyes:

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

server over wireless, nasty. Are you getting ip conflict warnings? also what about reservations, static ip's?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Which is supposed to be doing DHCP? The server or the router?

And a server connected via WiFi is liable to make things flakey. I'd strongly suggest wiring it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the server running DHCP?

As said running a server on a wireless connection aint good, get some cat5 in there! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Damn. Right up there with using NTLM (1) for authentication, running SQL Server pre SP3 and having an 'Allow Any Inbound' rule on your firewall...

Seriously - network your server to your router/firewall/gateway properly (i.e. using a cable). It will save you no end of grief. I presume your server is handing out the DHCP addresses on your LAN - or is the router handing them out LAN-side as well as getting a public IP from your ISP? We need a little more info to troubleshoot properly. If its a case of the connection dropping it could be your WEP/WPA settings, could be that the router needs a firmware upgrade, could be that your wireless signal is flaky, causing both client and server to drop connections... or if you're running WEP or something else easily crackable (WPA1) it could be that you're seeing the local script kiddies deauthenticating you then flooding your AP with deauth traffic, causing you to get kicked off as your AP attempts to keep up with the flow. Of course, you won't really know that until you sort out the main issue - which is your server being networked wirelessly!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

The server is only used as a testbed for my exam work, i needed something with a bit of grunt as it runs virtual pc, and that is all it really gets used for, i run a remote desktop session to it from my laptop, and sit in another room.

It is running dhcp, but only within virtual pc, so this should not affect it.

My wireless knowledges is not that great, im sure it is something to do with the way the modem is set up.

thanks everyone

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE