Help regarding setting up LAB for 70-284

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by stolenblessing, Aug 10, 2009.

1. stolenblessing

stolenblessing Nibble Poster

Hi Folks,

Could someone suggest me setting up a lab using Virtual Machines.

I have a DC (which has got Exchange Server installed) and a client.

Please guide me what other stuff would be required to practice the Routing Group stuff, etc.

Has anyone used Virtual Server 2005..

If yes, then is it possible to simulate WAN connection..

Thanks.

Regards,

Certifications: CCNA, MCP (70-290)
    WIP: 70-291
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Whoops. That's a fail right there.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. stolenblessing

Why??

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

For starters, a server handling authentication should NEVER act as an application server as well. If possible, I like to ensure my DCs don't even run file & print. Secondly, its been a known fact since the dawn of time - well, 5.5 anyway :) - that Exchange is a pig when running on a Domain Controller. It is technically possible to install Exchange on a DC, but never recommended, and not something you should (or at least you would hope not) come across in the real world. Thirdly, its just common sense - you should never 'put all your eggs in one basket' - what happens if your server running AD, DNS, GC and Exchange goes down? Finally, Microsoft don't recommend you install Exchange on a Domain Controller - in fact, they specifically recommend against it. I'm pretty sure that MS won't even support E2K3 if its installed on a DC (though someone who deals with support for small(ish) firms who has come across this before (Sparky, perhaps?) will be able to confirm that.

Here is a good blog post about installing Exchange on a DC.

Since you're going down the virtualisation route (which is definitely the way to go for studying) why don't you knock up three machines (a domain controller, exchange server and a client) and run your lab like that? Not only will it assist you instudying for the exam, but - even more importantly - it will give you much better practice for working with Exchange in the real world.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It might be FAIL in a production environment... but this is only a lab. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah, but...

You'd never encounter it in production, the dude's running a virtual environment anyway so why not set it up properly? :)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unfortunately they do support it however if there was a major problem that couldn’t easily be resolved I wouldn’t be surprised if it was recommended that Exchange was installed on its own server.

Some networks I have taken on have Exchange installed on the DC. I believe this is to do with charity licensing as there was a discount on Exchange\Server 2003 however there was no charity discount available for SBS for some reason.

To the OP I would start the lab from scratch and install a DC and an Exchange server on separate VMs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

True, true. But we're lazy, dude! We're techs! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. stolenblessing

Folks,

Thanks for the inputs..

I would go with 1 DC, 1 member server (with Exchange server) and 1 client.

Will upgrade the RAM in near future...

Regards,

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - that might be a problem. How much RAM have you got? You're going to want to have at least 2Gb to run that lot - preferably 4Gb

11. stolenblessing

I am using 2 Gb of ram with host as Windows VIsta Business..

I know it is not enough, but can't help at the moment.

12. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

I have Win XP with MS Virtual PC 2007. 1.8GHz CPU and 1.2GB RAM and I can run one virtual DC and one virtual member server with exchange fine. Minimal spec per server and a little slow, but fine for labs.

Certifications: BEng, MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's great, keep us posted as it progresses, please 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Is it necessary/recommended to run Front end/back end Exchange 2003 environment for practice purposes?

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA