Help regarding admission in the U.K

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by arun, Mar 28, 2011.

1. arun

arun New Member

Hi, I have the following questions :
    1) I am applying for 2nd year Engineering (electronics & comm/electronics&electrical),edinburgh napier university,given that I finish 1st year in India and the rest 3yrs im UK.How good is the University for my stream ?
    2)Do you know anyone who has graduated or is in my area of interest,so that he can give me a first hand info about the course.
    3)Whats the employment rate ? How many engineers find jobs once their course is complete and in what time ?
    4)Whats the current economic scenario in UK/Scotland/London ? Is the country out of recession ?
    5)What about Work Visa ?
    please help me out
    Thanks
    Arun

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, what you've listed sounds like eletronics engineer?

Either way - graduate's getting job's is difficult, as no experience.
    Employment rate for grads is farily low compared to experienced pros getting work
    Country is embroiled in debt spiralling into hundreds of billions - recession is far from over
    Visa's are issued to pretty much anybody, i think you'd need a student visa though if your planning to study here? either way, check out

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. arun

arun New Member

yeah sort of electronic engineering.Any idea as to when UK will be out of recession ? I will be graduating only in 2015-2016,will there be economic respite by then ?

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The student visa has been hugely abused in the past and because of that they are about to make it much tougher to get one. Loads of university's are unhappy because their very lucrative gravy train is about to run dry. Heard on chap on the radio who runs a English language school who was upset that they are clamping down on this. He obviously ran a genuine school, but he was totally blinkered about how much the system is abused by people. I have been watching this docu about the British customs & immigration and the amount of people they get on there who are supposed to be on student visa's but are just totally taking the p**s is incredible. Most of them can't give any information about the course they are meant to have been on for 18months etc.. even the name of it is a challenge to some of them!

Technically it IS out of recession as the economy is growing. The employment situation is fairly poor though and there are a lot of people chasing jobs (a lot of people who have experience, not just a degree).

If anyone on here can give you an accurate picture of what the job market will be like when you graduate though, they would be making a fortune in the financial sector, not giving advice on this forum. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I watched something similar a while back - people on student visa's who ended up working in a butchers illegally, and there were about 30 of them!

I did laugh, one of them said he was here to study psychology or something - then suddenly changed his story to Art, and then it was sports - and he never even knew the name of the university it was he was meant to go to :mrgreen:

Glad they're finally clamping down on it - immigration in the UK is out of control at the moment.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. arun

arun New Member

I am totally against people abusing the student visa.I have met many here who travel to the U.K solely on the grounds of earning extra bucks.They use education as a reason and end up settling there.I have always been thinking this scam might come around and bite genuine students like me someday.And it did ! Now the rules are stricter than before.They have also scrapped psw, and this going to hurt me badly.

One way to tackle immigrants who arrive on students' visa is to test their English and their course related acumen on their arrival.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well they say they are, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada