Help: Question for CCNA 640-802 exam

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by KZhao, Mar 25, 2011.

1. KZhao

KZhao Banned

A network administrator is explaining VTP configuration to a new technician. What should the network

administrator tell the new technician about VTP configuration? (Choose three.)

A. A switch in the VTP client mode cannot update its local VLAN database.

B. A trunk link must be configured between the switches to forward VTP updates.

C. A switch in the VTP server mode can update a switch in the VTP transparent mode.

D. A switch in the VTP transparent mode will forward updates that it receives to other switches.

E. A switch in the VTP server mode only updates switches in the VTP client mode that have a higher VTP

revision number.

F. A switch in the VTP server mode will update switches in the VTP client mode regardless of the

configured VTP domain membership.

Anyone can help me which is the right answer?

2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Answer's are:

A. The switch must be in server mode not client
    B. without a trunk link switches will not pass on vtp updates
    D. transparent mode forwards vtp updates

But telling you the answers will not help you? You need to read up on VTP.
    Check out Cisco.com

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

A network administrator is explaining VTP configuration to a new technician. What should the network
    administrator tell the new technician about VTP configuration? (Choose three.)

A. A switch in the VTP client mode cannot update its local VLAN database.
    I would would do this if it did not want the switch to advertise any info into the VTP domain, but if I wanted the switch to at some point advertise into the VTP domain it will have to become a server at some point

B. A trunk link must be configured between the switches to forward VTP updates.
    This is correct, VTP adverts are only forwarded across trunklinks

C. A switch in the VTP server mode can update a switch in the VTP transparent mode.
    The server switch will send the update down the trunk link, it is not aware what the mode of the downstream switch. The Transparent switch will recieve the update but will not sync to it, it will on the other hand forward the advert if the transparent switch in V1 mode has the same domain name, if the Transparent switch is in V2 mode it will forward the advert regardless of the domain name.

D. A switch in the VTP transparent mode will forward updates that it receives to other switches.
    See c above

E. A switch in the VTP server mode only updates switches in the VTP client mode that have a higher VTP
    Server switch will send it's updates when there is a change or every 5 mins. If the Server and Client switch both have the same domain name, password (If set) and version the client ought to sync to the server, although in testing the client switch if it has same domain name, password (If set) and version as the server will over write the server

F. A switch in the VTP server mode will update switches in the VTP client mode regardless of the
    configured VTP domain membership.
    Domain names must be the same and they are case sensitive

You can figure out the answers from there:biggrin

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  4. KZhao

KZhao Banned

WOW, so cool!!! are u a CCIE?

5. KZhao

KZhao Banned

Thank you so much. i will accept your suggest to read up on VTP

6. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

HAHAHA, nope, I could not even spell CCIE if I tried

Go to ebay, buy yourself 3 x 2950 cisco switches and make a bunch of cross over cables and work with it. You can read about the protocol until you are blue, green, purple in the face but until you see it for yourself in action you'll never really understand how it really works works, download a copy of wireshark and learn about the monitor commands on the switches so you can monitor the VTP traffic moving across the trunk links

switch(config)#monitor session 1 source interface fas 0/x
    switch(config)#monitor session 1 destination interface fas 0/x

VTP is one of those protocols that says one thing and does something different.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

To the OP

Please do not quote questions directly from their source. This question look like one you have taken directly from a book and is therefore subject to copyright and to post here is against CF terms and conditions.

Thank you

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong