help please

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by dendog13, Aug 13, 2009.

1. dendog13

dendog13 New Member

hey all... my first post here so il make it simple.....

i've been unemployed for a few months now and since i've always been decent at computers but unfortunatly have no qualifcations to prove it i decided to look about for methods of obtaining those qualifications...

So i came across computrain which i phoned yesterday and spoke to a man named danny.... he explained what they do and if i pay 3 odd grand i would be able to get my MCSE certificate... He literally pressured me into paying a deposit... said 200 quid was minimum they accepted and since i told him i couldnt afford it, and since i was a bit excited i said i might be able to get a lend of it... so he said he would phone me today.... he has just phoned me but i havent answered it yet

now since what he told me sounded to good to be true i decided to google computain and have found a number of posts saying they are a bunch of mugs and no job is guaranteed at the end of the course....

ive read a lot of posts of people saying about self teach and i would like to know how i would go about that...

would any of you also advise me whether i should take this course or not because as far as i can see from other posts then the answer is NO!!!....

your help would be much appreciated.....

Thank you in advance :D

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Welcome. Its up to you but I'd definitely turn them down. I've studied myself and done OK. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd tell them where to stick it. For several reasons:

1) It's expensive compared to self-study.
    2) Quite often these courses are very little except self-study.
    3) You're unemployed. Use one resource you have lot of (time) and not one you have very little of (money).
    4) An MCSE without relevant IT experience is akin to a chocolate teapot.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

You just have to do what most of need to do.........work hard at getting your foor on the ladder, you need some experience first. A+ and N+ may help you get a foot in the door, then with experience, you could look at the MCSE. Doing MCSE first then knocking the doors in my view will make it harder.......as the manager(s) may overlook you as a paper MCSE who'll know nothing....sounds harsh I know.

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You have no business goign for the MCSE without experience. High level certs like the MCSE,MCSA and CCNA are there too show your exerience level so they are for the likes of Server administrators, Network Admins and Advanced network people.

They are not for people looking for a job in IT, have certs like those without the relevant experience can go against you as you will be expected to know what you are doing.

You should be looking at certs like A+,N+ and MCDST these certs are for begginners and people just starting out in IT.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What the above posters has said is absolutely true. They're trying to sell you something that isn't suitable for someone starting out in IT. But they don't care as long as they can get you to sign on the dotted line.

What you should be pursuing is the A+, Network+, and the MCDST. All of these are solid entry-level certifications that will do you well at the start of your career. All you need is a couple of books to get you started on your A+ studies. I'd highly recommend the A+ All-in-One Sixth Edition by Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts First Edition by Pyles. You can also purchase practice exams to see if you're ready for the real thing, but be careful - some are legit, high-quality practice exams, and some are "cheat sheets" called braindumps that can get you banned from EVER getting certifications. When in doubt, check Certguard.com.

Don't wait to get certified to start looking for an IT job... start looking NOW. Certification only increases the chances you'll be noticed and selected by employers.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. dendog13

dendog13 New Member

you have all been a big help..... i wont give these gangsters the satisfaction of thinking they conned someone else.... have read a load of posts on here saying people got sucked into this thinking they will get a 25k start on a job when they complete the course.... unbelievable how these mugs get away with this.... giving people false hopes in this day and age is sinful:x..... thanks also for the advice on the self study courses.... i will look into these.....

Thanks again:D