Help Please!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, May 16, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I am trying to uninstall MSN messenger on mates PC. He wants it completely removed. I have disable MSN messenger in the startup list on MS Config.

How do I uninstall the program?
    It's not listed in Add or Remove Program list in Control Program

suggestion please!

My mates PC specs are Win XP SP1 with Messenger ver 4.1

Andy :study

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

First you have to go here

C:\WINDOWS\inf

Then look for this file and right click>edit

sysoc.inf

Then you need to remove the 'hide' from this entry

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

so it looks like this

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Don't forget, just remove the 'hide' but not the commas.

Then go to the add/remove windows components in control panel and you'll see messenger in the list.

HTH
    :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mate it work like a charm :)

I was wondering what other stuff do MS have hidden in windows?

I have turned off most of the update software links in Exployer.
    I have just updated Windows Media Player from Ver 8 to 10 on my mates PC so he can use MS Flight Sim 2004.

He can't use Spy bot, Adaware or Win XP SP2 because of the firewall. His computer crashes when playing Doom 3 or Flight Sim. That's why we want back to XP sp1.

My question is.... is it safe to use media plater v.10 or are there back doors written into the program? Such as Tracking Cookies or key loggers?

Andy 8)

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Dunno - thats why is hidden...

Have you tried updating his drivers for his graphics card? what did the Firewall do to spybot, adaware?

Thats where good viral protection, adaware comes in, and not forget good practice together with common sense... btw: had no probs with media 10.

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

He's up to date on his Graphics card, MB, Direct X drivers and Flight sim patch. But the computer freezes and try's to connect to internet every time we load Flight Sim.

Common Sense....oooh that's a cheek what do you think I am some kind of rookie???

6. Mr.Cheeks

sorry - that was not directed at you personally, that is in general, more directed to those who have no computing sense, well thats my opionon...

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Yep, make sure he has the options "Enhanced Content Provider Services" and "Customer Experience Improvement Program" de-selected in Tools | Options | Privacy.

What?:blink Why? What firewall is he using. How do you know it's because of the firewall anyway?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Are you letting it connect to the internet when the game starts or have you blocked it? The reason I ask is I also have a couple of games that do this too just to "check in" so to speak. After that they run no problem.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

That's exactly it. Except when he had Win XP sp2 loaded things were a bit slow and unstable. Not quite blue screen of death day's from win98, but close enough. The SP1 version seems to run fine!?

He orginally had two firewalls running MS and Black Ice.

Quite often after playing need for speed MW or HP2 there would be Internet Exployer window asking to be connected.

So what do you do Nugget let the computer check in? Sounds a bit like Half life 2.

Andy...

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

When playing Medal of Honor multiplayer a message appears on the windows bar saying yor computer is being attacked?

While Doom 3 is very slow unless we turn off the firewall, then it asks to connect to the internet.

Andy... :unsure

11. Baba O'Riley

I wouldn't ever turn off a fiewall while you're connected to the net. You didn't answer my question about the anti-spyware.

What I'd do is this:
    1. Only run one firewall, two is asking for confusion.
    2. Never disable it while connected to the net. If a program can't do what it wants to because of the firewall, either tell the firewall to allow it or open a port.
    3. All the slow down could be attributed to malware given that you are disabling the firewall so start up in safe mode and run full anti-spyware and virus scans.

Do I interpret this right: Your firewall is telling you your computer is under attack so your solution is to disable the firewall :blink?
    Again, just open the relevant ports in the firewall or allow it in the firewall's access list.
    It could well be the firewall is informing you of something pinging your PC. This is one way hackers will find vulnerable computers, ping random IP addresses until they get a reply, then if that computer does not have a firewall, it's Christmas time.

Why don't you want these programs to access the net anyway? They are probably trying to check for updates and patches.

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Errr what was the question?

Oh yes he has adaware and spybot he's got it into his head about keyloggers.

I agree..or should it be I concur?

That's the reason why he turns everything running in the background off so he can have as much Juice as he can get for the Game.

errr..no it only displays that message when the firewall is running and don't ask me what the logic is behind this, but he believes it's better to have two Firewalls running just incase the other misses something?

I know it sounds stupid but he read in a Magazine so it must be true!?

mmmm...

Aahh now that's an easy one, because some Software Houses require you to register like EA. I did this with need for speed and untill recently have been getting all sort of junk recorded calls "you've won a holiday in US for compettion you never applied for" Why should we believe EA staff who say they won't give PSN info on you out?

How did they get my number when it's ex directory?

It was the only website out there that has my new ex direct number.

Andy

Sorry for the long post.. :(

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just a quick question, why does he want MSN messenger removing? It's normally Windows Messenger that's annoying.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it not worth checking for patches for the games etc.that will not run with SP2? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Baba O'Riley

You said in your first post that your mate couldn't use Adaware etc. because of the firewall. Why not? If it is blocking access you just have to allow them in the firewall's access list or open the relevant port.

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Re-reading the original post I suspect that after installing SP2 he couldn't use adaware and spybot because the firewall blocked them. As Baba pointed out you need to allow them access to the net (for updates) by opening the ports they need.

The best solution would be to disable the windows firewall and configure the black ice firewall to do this.

You got it right about Half Life and if I want to play then I let it connect, simple as that.

If you want to an online virus scan you can use this place. Virustotal.com
    Also check out the security and virus forum here and you'll find some good links and info. Maybe a good idea to pass it onto your mate.

Edit: It seems like there might be a little confusion between MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger

17. Mr.Cheeks

...and what is the difference :blink i always thought it was the same thing?

18. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nope - and when you throwing in Messaging it gets worse.

I've found a fairly good article here .

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  19. Mr.Cheeks

...now why did MS do things like this for :cussing ...cheers Harry

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

He's a bit of a Max Hedroom doesn't like microsoft and prefers to use MAC or Linux software. Unfortunately the PC games require MS Windows.

I am trying to get him to join CF so he can ask you the questions he asks me to ask you?

Andy :biggrin My brain hurts everytime I learn something new!