Help on Certifications

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Rinjin, May 28, 2008.

1. Rinjin

Rinjin New Member

Hi All,

I had previously enquired abt the .net certifications and was informed that I must take up a series of exams that included 70-305, 70-315, 70-229 etc....

Yesterday a friend of mine completed 70-536 and 70-528 and suggests that these are the right ones... I am totally confused abt all this...She says complete 70-536 and you become an MCP...

Can someone make it a lil clear for me....

Regards,
    Rinjin

2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

When you pass a Microsoft Certification Exam you become an MCP, Microsoft Certified Professional. This can be one exam in any of the subject areas.

If you want to become a Microsoft Certified Application Developer using VB.net then you must pass 2 exams, one core exam and one elective exam, from the MCAD requirements found here.

If you pass your first exam then you become an MCP, when you complete the second exam you will become an MCAD.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What stoney says is correct, when you pass any microsoft exam you are an MCP.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Be aware that the old track (70-3xx series (ie 70-305, 70-315 etc)) are scheduled to retire March 31 2009. This might be a reason to take the new track.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No 70-536 would make you MCTS.

I'm with Tinus, take the new track, the old track is out of date, nearly all .Net development will now be on version 2 onwards, taking version one exams is wasted effort in my book.

Look at the microsoft site if in doubt, I agree they are not helping themselves though as their cert tracks are becomming increasingly bizare, and are changing faster than most people can keep track...

The newest exams are now on .Net 3.5, as far as I can tell the 70-536 is still on .Net 2.0 for the moment at least.

http://weblogs.asp.net/guybarrette/archive/2008/01/20/microsoft-net-framework-3-5-beta-exams.aspx

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

actually, the truth is a mixture of whats been said here already.

Firstly: the MCTS track exams do not qualify you for MCP - that is, sitting and passing any of the MCTS exams does not grant you MCP status. For more information, take a look at this

In order to get MCTS status, you will need to pass one or more exams. For instance, the MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications requires that you pass 2 exams before being granted MCTS status. The 70-536 is one of those exams.

The combination of 70-536 and 70-528 qualifies you as a MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications. This is not an MCP qualification, but is an MCTS qualification.

Whilst the track you are looking at is (currently) still a valid track, the MCTS tracks are the most up to date tracks. These tracks are more targetted, and designed to show a very specific set of skills. Personally, I would go with the new MCTS track. Either by going for either of the two tracks i mentioned, or looking at the .Net 3.5 tracks, which are similar to the .Net 2 versions, but for .Net 3.5 (surprisingly).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present