1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on building a network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Danmurph, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

The time has come to build a domain in my home and I need some advice please.
    This is what I have got:
    2x PC's one running win 2003 server enterprise edition, the other running XP (both with network cards
    Belking 802.11g wireless adapter (usb connection)

I currently use the wireless adapter to connect to the internet from the XP machine, my other machine does nothing as of yet..

Ok what I want to do is to set up a domain using the two computers, later adding a third machine into the network as a 2nd client computer,

What other hardware do I need, and how do I share my internet connection through the server computer (if I can) The router im recieving the internet from is a speedtouch box

Thanks guys,

Hope all studying and work is going well :D

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For any kinda domain based network I would ditch the wireless connection mate. Is it possible to replace the speed touch with a decent firewall\router as well? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

er... what's a domain? :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky

No idea! :biggrin

Some kinda Microsoft network I think. :biggrin

5. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd better study those individual books, ya think? :study :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky

To be on the safe side Ive ordered all the books from Amazon! :biggrin

Yes, *all* the books! :eek:

7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

8. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

cable up and get a router, it will make more sense in the long run :) Yes you can use 2003 as a router but not many enterprises will do that as they'd prefer to have a more dedicated box doing that kind of work.

You can pick up a netgear for less than £20 which is an easy way to get it all up'n'running

9. EduTech

EduTech Bit Poster

Yea from what you have said all you need now is a router and cable :D.

Later on if your network becomes larger and you start implement Email Servers.. Web Servers etc go and buy a nice gbit switch :D

I am sure if you need a hand someone on here will help you out if not PM me . :)

James.