Help networking between Linux & XP?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Lord Deckard, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

OK, got myself a couple of distros downloaded so I can start learning about the linux environment but google is most definitely not being my friend. All I'm after is a simple guide that will explain how to setup so I can get my XP and linux boxes talking to one another and sharing files. I'm not asking for the earth, am I? LOL!

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Err actually you are!!! NOT FOR A NEWBIE!

You need samba running on the linux box and its pretty hard to setup as i found out this weekend!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just echoing what Zimbo said! :biggrin

4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Time to go googling for Samba then? Think I'll finish off fixing the wife's car first, at least that's something I know how to do without looking it up.

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah you will find plenty! But its hard to implement! first you have to know about dns configuration on linux, you have to know how to install samba and all these are issues which again i have learnt are not ideal as a first project with linux.

Why do you want to share?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, on a more serious note, which distro are you using?

Samba is usually installed to some extent on all distros, and if you are using a GUI it should be fairly straight forward to set up a simple shared folder.

Anything more than a simple share and you start getting complicated! 8)

7. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Got a selection of distros to use! Got SUSE 10 on my main box and FC4 on a spare box. Ideally, I just want to get in and get my hands dirty with linux and as I'm doing my N+, makes sense to have a go at networking everything together. Just after initially sharing a few files so I can say I know what I'm talking about and from there just see what else I can do. Currently reading linux for dummies as well so if anyone has any general tips at all, I'm listening.

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd suggest that you stick to a single Distro for now. FC4 might be the better option, as I think that SUSE tends to be more of a server product, and isn't necessarilly designed with a new user in mind. FC4 on the other hand has a nice graphical installer, and regardless of which GUI you use (KDE of Gnome) its fairly easy to navigate around.

8)

9. Dosh

Dosh Bit Poster

If you want there is a service you can run on Linux called Webmin. It is a webbased graphical admin portal. The last Samba server I set up was a bear. I'm not going to lie about that. But Webmin will help alot unless you want to get into the config files and what not. But if you just want to see how it works and for ease of administration then I would suggest looking into it. The network I had it running on was a mix of 98 through XP pro systems. The logon server was NT SBS 4.5 with a secondary NT 4.0 server. But then again that's just my 2 cents.

~Brad