Help needed

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by JSA ALU, Jul 13, 2010.

1. JSA ALU

JSA ALU Bit Poster

HOw to access internet from virtual machine?..I am using win 7 and winserver 2003 in vmware. i am able to access win7 via unc ...I want my Virtual win server 2003 to access internet and get updated ...please help. I tried bridged, NAT ...but nothing worked.

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Dude - you're not helping yourself out here. We'll need a bit more information than that to go on. What's your experience like on VMWare? What version are you using (Server, Workstation etc)? What's your networking setup? Are you running on a domain or workgroup? What are you using as a default gateway? etc.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. JSA ALU

JSA ALU Bit Poster

really sorry , actually its for an educational institution, they are using vmware workstation. just a simple setup.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not sure how it is on vmware but on virtual pc all you have to do is install IE onto the virtual machine, make sure your firewall is configure on the virtual machine to use ports associated with wih web browsers and trafic eg 80 20/21 etc etc and you shouldn't have any bother.

If your virtual machine is a DC then its probably not a good idea to allow IE or any browser for that matter run from it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So, its for a college assignment then? :tune

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

i think what you need to do is:
    on your physical computer that is running vmware go into control panel -> networks ->network connections (so that you can see all the diffrent ways of conecting your physical computer to the network be that ethernet or wifi)
    on that page you should have a adapter called vmware network adapter, right click on it then properties then the sharing tab and tick the allow other computers to connect to the internet using this computer

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  7. JSA ALU

JSA ALU Bit Poster

How to know the VM's IP without logging in.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I smell something dodgy here!!!

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. JSA ALU

JSA ALU Bit Poster

nothing dodgy here simond , just want to know a way of getting the ip address of vm without logging in to reduce the workload of not accessing each and every vm.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I haven't used VMworkstation in a while but doesn't it give you IP information the on VM's you have setup? If you click on the VM and look on the left hand side, you should see the properties.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA