1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with switch

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Paul_o, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Having got my server 2003 connected to a single base unit running ok, i have now got a smart switch to connect up 3 more base units. the problem i have is accessing the switch
    to configure it. the switch default ip address is 192.168.0.100 i have loaded the switch software onto a base unit running win2k and connected them via a crossover cable. the win 2k units nic is configured to obtain ip and dns automatically, and i have set the default gateway to the switch's ip address. i can ping the switch ok and in the switch software it is showing ok but when i try and connect it says password error, but i have not set a password. have i set the ip addresses correctly? its the default gateway i am not sure about.

Paul

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think you need to tell us the make and model of this switch.

Most cheap switches don't have IP addresses or logins, so this sounds like a fairly sophisticated unit.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

As an afterthought - didn't this switch come with a manual or CD?

Harry.

4. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Thanks harry, i have managed to get in the config menu. the switch is one i got off ebay, it was made in china and the instructions are shall i say not very clear. after reading them again, on page 23 it says the default password is would you believe ADMIN. why i did'nt think of that i don't know. guess i won't make a very good hacker! off for another play with the configuration menu.

Paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  5. hbroomhall

Thats why I asked about the docs! Most units have a very simple password when delivered, and sometimes no password at all - it is up to you to change it to a better one.

Harry.