Help needed for the A+ )

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, May 26, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Could somehelp me understand what these topics mean?
    I am preparing for the 2003 A+ Operating Systems Exam

Section 2.3

Booting to a system restore point
    Dual Boot
    Creating Emergency Disks with OS Utilities

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you googled for any of these questions? You would get much better answers doing that, then any specific questions you have could be answered for you here.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Does it not explain them further in the book? :blink

Booting to a system restore point;
    Is using XP's System Restore feature to roll back the system files to an earlier point in time.. note, when you do this the computer will re-boot and load a previously taken snapshot of the system files.

Dual boot;
    Having more than one operating system loaded on a single PC.. the boot.ini file or other boot-loader app is used to select which OS to boot into, for example you would see a menu after POST asking you to select say XP or Vista.

Creating emergency disks;
    Varies depending on the OS but basically you create one or more floppies using the OSs utility that stores important system information that can then be used when trying to repair an installation that's been corrupted.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I dont want to offend you...but...are you SURE you are ready to sit this exam at this time?? These are questions you should know the answers to if you have studied the materials.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think the best way to learn what these concepts mean is to actually practice them. Reverting an XP machine to a restore point is pretty basic and assuming that you have an XP machine and that restore points are enabled, they are created automatically whenever you (for example) install a new piece of software.

Many of the members here have computers that dual boot so they can experience two operating systems on one piece of hardware. It's the favorite "ploy" of people who want to learn Linux but don't want to give up Windows, but it's also common to dual boot to two different versions of Windows (XP and 2000 for example).

I can't think of a single operating system that doesn't offer the option of letting you create recovery disks. In the event that the OS goes bad, these disks give you the option of recovering from serious and even "fatal" errors.

I think you'll learn more about this if you set up a test computer and actuall perform these tasks. You'll certainly have much better chance of understanding these concepts by actually doing them than by just reading about them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok, i'm not going to say QFT or quoted for truth, i am just going to say.. i agree wholeheartedly with the above statement ^^ :p

7. Raffaz

Just curious, have you got your hardware booked for next month aswell?

8. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

QFT.

Tee hee :biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  9. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This really is the kinda stuff you need to be aware of mate :wink:

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It seems like Professor-Falken question has been answered since he or she has not responded to the above replies:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Sorry I took so loing to reply I have been waiting for all your replies to come in. I already passed the hardware for the person who asked me, if I am going to take the hardware exam as well.
    Bluerinse thank you especially for your help and tripewire also.
    You have have realy encouraged me. Yes all of these questions I have googled before placing them here so please dont ask me again. Everyone knows the 2003 exam is around the corner and I am cramming for it. So please no discouraging word only constructive criticism. I have question on the last domain of the 2003 objectives to post and when I am pass my test I will let you all know. Thank again, for your replies.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  13. Raffaz

Never realised you had passed hardware, congrats :)

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

QFT 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!