Problem Help needed for putting images on a website

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Andrew95, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

I am learning to design web pages. I know how to code in HTML, I understand CSS and I have used dreamweaver in the past. I would like to learn how to place thumbnail images in a picture gallery which would blow up to a much larger size on rollover. I would also like to protect the blown up images so that they cannot be faithfully copied in a high resolution. Do you have any resources that will help me in simple simple terms or can you simplify this process for me in order to help me

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP CCDP CCIE
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well, I'm no HTML expert, but there are loads of free gallery plug in's out there that seem to mostly be PHP based and need a mysql db to run. That may be overkill for what you are trying to achieve though.

As for prepping the images, there are loads of utils out there, but one I particularly like is Faststone image viewer. Yes it's primarily a viewer, but it also has some really good batch image modification tools (like taking a whole range of images and converting the resolution down quite low). You can also batch watermark them to get your copyright on the image etc...

I tend to make my images at the most 640x480 and then make sure there is extensive watermarking. (I do event photography part time). The lengths some people will go to though to get an image and try and photoshop the watermarking out, just to avoid paying a few quid is quite amazing! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Thanks Modey. How simple is the implementation of the something like FAststone. 1/2hour or 1/2 day. I need an application solution, not technical expertise in web applications. I am also very happy you understand the problems of image piracy. I do event photography as well so glad to hear from you. The solution I am looking for right now is one of distribution, ie how to showcase photos before printing them. It is too costly to print samples, distribute and then reprint the choosen photos. It is also time restrictive. DO you have a website by the way or any technical resources (in addition to Faststone) which you can point me to.

Andrew

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP CCDP CCIE
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's always an issue how you are going to deal with photos on the night I find. We considered letting them choose photos from a screen, then printing them on demand but it has it's own problems really.

Instead, I tend to make a decision for them and pick what I consider the best photo and just print it anyway. Yes you do end up with some unsold photo's because of this, but generally we do ok. What it does mean is that you can get straight on with processing and printing and I have got my workflow down to a fairly tight routine now. My wife is the one taking the photos (so I don't have to stop and do that) and I have 2 laptops and 2 printers on the go. It works very well, but it took a lot of trial and error to get to that point.

As for Faststone, the clue is in the name. :) When I started to use it, it made a huge difference to me on how quickly I could process photos. Both during an event and also after the fact. Give it a go, it's freeware and isn't crippled in any way. I dontated to the guy who made it, as it made my life a lot easier. :)

An example of the photos we take are here :-

http://www.dgonline.co.uk/gallery/main.php

Not sure how long that gallery will last though as I'm in process of changing hosting and it shouldn't actually be working any more. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've always found handy tools here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/lightbox/index.htm

There are a few other gallery apps there too.

I think that protecting the images is more complicated - at least it used to be.
    People used to disable right-clicking, but most implementations were so easy to get around that they weren't worth bothering with. If your stuff has any real value, you could try watermarking it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD