Help need - User profiles in WINXP

Discussion in 'A+' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Nov 19, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

In the MM A+ Passport book, on page 608, it describes the user account page.

The picture show's power Users and Administrator

What is the difference between the two?

Am I right in thinking you have to be an administrator to set up someone on a power user account?

Also if they are a power user does this mean they can access hidden files on the window system?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Useful link..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825069

Is this on a local PC and not in a domain environment?

Also in regard to hidden files\folders it depends if you have the permissions to access the file\folder or not. You can check this in the security tab. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I think a power user can create user accounts, but they can only manage the ones they create.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Power Users: Members can create and modify local user accounts on the computer and share resources.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Stoney! and sparky thanks for the link!

So if they are Power uses they can share printers and folders etc?

What about programs?

i.e if a user has Acrobat Reader and wants to install or update to Acrobat writer do they have the permission to on the power user to set this up or is this only available on Administrator?

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I *think* power users can do that, you may want to create a power user and test though.

The best way to lock down the PC is to make the user only a member of the domain users group and then use group policy and software restriction policies to allow authorised software to run. This is in a domain environment although you can have a local group policy.

It looks like Power Users are going to be ditched in Vista, joy! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I'm not sure what you mean by domain environment?

What if the user has a roaming profile? do you mean binding the PC name to the network so only that PC will have access rather than the user?

8. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

In a Workgroup each workstation authenticates the user when they log on. If you have 5 workstations and you want one user to have access to each workstation, then you must create that user account on each machine.

In a domain environment, user authentication (amongst other things) is controlled centrally on a server configured as a domain controller. You only need to create the account on the domain controller (within Active Directory). When a user goes to log on to a machine, the authentication is sent to the domain controller who then decides whether the user has the correct log on credentials and if they're allowed to log on.

Also, Power users have most administrative rights but not all. I think they can install drivers etc and (according to windows own description of the built in power users group) can run legacy applications in addition to certified applications.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Heres a more detailed explanation
    Power Users Group: Performs many management tasks on the computer, but does not have the full administrative privileges of the administrator account. For example, power users can create user accounts and groups (and manage the user accounts and groups that they create), but they cannot manage objects that are created by members of the administrators group. Also, power users do not have access to files and folders unless they are granted permissions. This group has no members by default.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Stoney that's :super

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mate:thumbleft I'm going stick that one in my concise revision notes:biggrin

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dave,

Just for the record, mate;

From my (limited) experience of the MS exams (270 and 271) it would appear they are focusing on the *domain* setup.

I am not saying to disregard the Workgroup environment or knowledge but I have found the MS Press books usually say something like *unless otherwise mentioned this chapter is based on a small to medium based company in a domain environment*.

Regards

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Si:thumbleft

Speaking of profiles - Hey what's going with your's? It looks as though your offline when your not? Are you in stealth mode for a reason or just have the invisible mode on in your profile?:blink

14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

so he can browse the net in peace without the need of his manager/company knowing what he's doing.