HELP! missing or corrupt hal.dll

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Has to be chipset (computer) driver. Have a look at the disks that came with the laptop or head over the the makers website and have a look there. To confirm that the devices are physically working go into the BIOS and find the auto detect drives option, that should find the combo drive, to test the FDD try changing the boot order and leaving a blank floppy in the drive when restarting.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd go with you on that one. Had this plenty of times. :ymca

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

There isn't an auto detect option in my BIOS so I just made sure all the defaults were set.

I started up and it's now checking my disks for consistency.

4. Luton Bee

I still suspect there may be a deeper underlying problem with this machine, I think perhaps the corruption of the HAL was a symptom rather than the cause, don't suppose the machine is still under warranty is it?

P.S. If you can network the machine you can backup data that way by copying to a shared folder.

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

My laptop is networked to the machine I'm on now because Nelix helped me out with the LAN.

I was thinking that myself Luton, the share idea.

If I can dump all my laptop stuff onto this computer then I can do a clean install of the laptop and see if that helps.

The machine only has a one year warranty but I've only had it a few months.

What do you people think.Should I reinstall the machine?

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you can back all your data up on the other comp then yes, once you've reinstalled don’t put all your data straight back onto the laptop. Install all your apps and use it a while, see if any problems re-emerge.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Luton Bee

OK here's what I'd do 1st back up the data, then if you have a restore CD try running that (it should put the machine back to the factory installation incuding drivers and apps etc). If you don't have a restore disk you can try a clean install (make sure you delete the partition that XP finds then re-create it to make it a clean install), the only caveat with this is that you need all the driver disks that came with the machine after installation, pkus you need the XP licence key and will have to re-register after installation. If you get any further "unusual occurences" with this machine it should go back to the vendor for replacement.

I'm off out for the evening now so if you need any further help it will have to be tomorrow, you can mail me direct if you want via my profile on this site or wait 'til I come online tomorrow.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Flex,

If you can manage to safely back-up all your important stuff across the LAN, and are under warranty, then I'd agree - go for a format / re-install.

Even if that still doesn't cure the prob (I'm sure it will, tho')- you can't lose, as you can still take it back, and in the meantime you're still learning more as you go along.

If you don't want to be quite as drastic, tho' - try this, its a trick I watched my main Guru use to pull a completely dead PC back to life in no time ...

Go into Device Manager, and one by one, delete EVERYTHING !!! I nearly died watching him do this, then 15 min later - BANG - "Welcome to Windows " !!!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've just created a Workgroup and my backup is right this minute taking place from my laptop to the computer I'm typing from.

i think I'm going to ahve to send this machine abck to the vendor.

I keep getting an error message when I shut down and I also cannot put the machine into standby.I can only shut down or restart.

The CD/DVD Combo is a little flimsy as well.It's probably ok for a laptop but I'm not sure to be honest.

It's still under warranty and although it's a bit of a pain sending it back, I think that somethings not right with the laptop.