HELP! missing or corrupt hal.dll

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Aug 15, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

what windows messenger, yeah. I'm on yahoo also

Actually, thinking on I'm only on msn on this comp.

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

whats your windows messenger username

I'll chat with you over that as it would be better not to advertise how we get round the Admin password

or just click the MSN icon at the bottom of the post (I think that should work) and add my MSN email address to your contacts list

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I just woke up and found you're in quite a predicament, flex. Sounds like you've got enough support to get things back under control. I'd be interested in hearing the post mortum on this, once your laptop is repaired.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

How did you get on with this Flex? Any luck :box2

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I need a floppy disk for this Si.I'll have to get one tomorrow.

Although my laptop hasn't got a floppy drive, I need the floppy according to Nelix.

It's a bit long winded but Nelix has been very patient and has helped me for hours on this.

I'll get a floppy disk in the morning from staples and then I'll let you know mate.

I can't explain much now coz I'm a little :drunk

6. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Flex

From reading your original message I wonder if atfer all this we are treating the symptoms rather than the true cause? A plethora of different error messages including missing or corrupted system files usually means a failing HDD in my experiance, my advice to you would be to do a full backup ASAP if you get the machine up and running again this time

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree with you on this Luton about the backup, I've had this happen a couple of times with XP but not to the extent of a failed or failing HD, There could be a number of resons that the hal.dll got corrupted and from experience on this problem XP seems to be the cause. I'm not saying your wrong as I totally agree with you on the back up and I'm sure Flex will after the couple of days he's had. I'm just saying that I've had this with XP 4 of 5 times for different reasons. One of the main causes was misconfiguration in the boot.ini from software installs or upgraded OS systems.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Wow - what a Thread !

Sorry all, but this one completely by-passed me over the weekend ! Flex, you've been in a panic right enough.

But as Trip said, you've clearly been in capable hands - how's the situation now ? Up and running ?

A wise Scotsman (yes, they do exist) not too far removed from here once posted three words that should be inscribed on every PC in the Datasphere !

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Nelix is sending me a CD which should help me sort it.
    I'll let u people know when its sorted.
    I'm glad I had me backup comp so I could get to this site while me laptops down.
    This comp I'm on is good but I've hardly used it and was beginning to wonder what to do with it.

Unfortunately my VMWare network is on me laptop so I cant practice network stuff at the mo.

I cant also play me games so its been a bit of a bleesin also because I've been readin books more.

In fact at the mo I'm goin over the first sort of stuff I ever learned back at the start of 2002 just to refresh me memory.

I'm going over the boot process, files, records and directories and what they are.I'm going over how databases are created.Also how dvd's work, BACKUPS!!!, Boolean maths and how to add and subtract in binary.Among other things.

It's good to go over things, it reminds me that although I sometimes think I'm the most useless thing there is, I have learnt something.

I'm just glad I found this site with such good people to help me out.I've been looking for a UK site in ages and its great we've now got one.

Lastly, how would you recomend I back up data.I mean so that it's constantly up to date.What do I need.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Flex,

I presume that you might have at least one machine with a CD-burner (CD-R/ CD-RW)

So, from your main box (laptop ?), then :

Start>Run>ntbackup

and select whatever you want to back-up to a file ( I generally just do My Docs on my wee network). Then, just burn it to disk ( and LABEL IT !!!) and your home and dry :P

After that, a life of never being afraid of breaking Windows :P

11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I made the mistake of buying those CD's that you can only write once to.

They are 650 MB CD's but if you write, say, 10 MD worth of data and that's it, then you can't write to it again.At least I've tried but it never writes twice.

I know what you mean about backing up important docs.I suppose if you do it weekly then you should be ok.

Thing I'm not sure about is licenses.I have various games on my laptop along with VMWare.

I have VMWare on this comp right here, now.However, it needs the license in order to run.I cannot do this because that license number is registered on my laptop.It's the same with my games.

I realise that I'll be back on my laptop soon but it's just interesting to know how to get around this.
    I'm supposing that you'd have to write to the vendor explaining the situation.

Thanks for the help, I'll be backing up data like there's no tomorrow (I know, that don't make sense) as soon as me laptops running.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

TOMORROW HAS BEEN CANCELLED. HAVE YOU BACKED UP ???

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

No but at least I can have a lie in. :P

14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've got the password sorted.

I was able to leave the password blank.

When I type out the command to expand the file, it say's

"Access is denied"

Can anyone help :roll:

15. Luton Bee

16. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

IT'S ALIVE!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

YOU :lilangel

It's saying it's found loads of new hardware so I think I'll have to reinstall all the drivers because it looks like no hardware at all is configured at the moment.

THANKS!!!

17. Luton Bee

Flex

Back the clucking thing up now Before you do almost anything else Back up the data first so that is safe, once you have all the drivers installed again run ntbackup and save the "system state date" somewhere safe.

18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

My CD/DVD Combo drive has disappeared. :fol

Can you help. :scratch

19. Luton Bee

Dissapeared completely, i.e. no drive letter, or just as DVD drive or writer?

Have a look in device manager to see if there are any problems or conflicts reported there.

20. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I checked earlier.

It said that the IDE floppy disk controller wasn't working and also the Secondary IDE controller couldn't access resources.

The troubleshooter said uninstall them and then reinstall them through plug and play.

Now there aren't any errors shown in device manager.

However I can no longer see the two mentioned devices that had errors.

I think they haven't been reinstalled but I thought they would because it should be plug and play.

There's no drive letter either for the combo drive.