Help meto be better

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by kdlkdl, Feb 16, 2008.

1. kdlkdl

kdlkdl New Member

Hiya all
    This is my first time here so I thought I would say hi.
    I have just passed my IDO-510 exam and I have to say, reading some threads that have been written people are not filling me with confidence about my future. I am already close to taking my next exam and understand that when I have finised all three it will not be as easy as I thought to just walk into a job. I have discovered that bieng CIW certified is not well know in the uk, so I wanted some advice on what other exams I can take to become more employable. Can you give me some advise or some guidance oh fellow studyers.

Kdlkdl

Certifications: CIW IDO-510
    WIP: IDO-520/525
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi kdlkdl (spam bells ringing?)

If you'll look at typical job adverts for web design, you'll see this is not an industry in which exams and certifications make much of an impact. Have a look at your existing skillset and portfolio, compare them to what's in demand and that should give you an idea of what study route to map out.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. kdlkdl

kdlkdl New Member

Thanks,

Alot of adverts want experience. I will start my web portfollio soon, I have websites that I have created but not yet published, I made thease for practice. I have looked on a few sites and they say PHP, sql, .NET, java and/or ASP required. Its a little frustrating not knowing where to to turn to better my chances.

Certifications: CIW IDO-510
    WIP: IDO-520/525
  4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi again,

I've just looked for the course on Google, but there's not much information on it - what did it cover? And also which route do you want to take - design vs developer?

The ads you're seeing depend on whether you're going opensource (PHP / MySQL) vs Windows (ASP / SQL Server); Javascript is one of the fundamentals, but .Net is probably a bit too advanced at this point.

Your portfolio will be crucial in getting a job, as it's what employers will use to determine what skills you have and how well you know them - it'll also be useful for you to use to try out new skills as you learn them.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I believe that harpistic is spot on here. A good portfolio is the main thing that will get you work.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+