Help me !!!!!, oh you already have

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by troubledtony, Jan 19, 2006.

1. troubledtony

troubledtony Bit Poster

Hi all, really usefull forum for us IT newbies, was about to sign up to CT or ST for the dreaded big pile of cash but after reading so many posts from those of you who are having troubles with your training i'm seriously considering doing the A+ etc without having to pay some company lots of dosh. can you really do it yourself?????

Certifications: none
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you mean specifically the A+, yes. However, not everyone can do it as self-study. It really helps to have some sort of mechanical or technical apptitude. If the thought of taking a screwdriver and opening up your PC scares you witless, then self-study might not be for you.

What you might want to do is pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and properly introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about your background and goals. This will give all of us a chance to say "hi" and throw our two cents worth in. Knowing a little bit more about you might help us answer your questions. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes I am sure that *I* could.

However, the question is whether you could and as Trip has already said, it depends.

Getting into IT is not a walk in the park. You will find that any IT course is hard work, these certifications are difficult to attain and so they should be. So, the questions are, do you have enough motivation to set aside the time necessary to study? Or do you need someone to put pressure on you to study?

If it is the latter, then you should be looking at a training provider. However, once you have parted with your hard earned cash, you will soon find yourself having to self study anyway. So, you may as well give self study a try and see how you go.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

I am currently with a training provider,but would always choose self study in the future.

Thats not because i have had a bad experiance with the training provider(beside parting with the cash :biggrin ),but as Bluerinse has already stated,you mainly end up self studying anyway.

Save your cash,give home study a try.Take one step at a time,a good place to start is with the A+,and see how you get on.

Best of luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290