Help!! MCSE

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Techgirl, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Techgirl

Techgirl New Member

Hi,

New person here. I have been reading numerous threads about computeach. Just in the nick of time by the sounds of it. I had a meeting with one of their sales guys the other day, and was advised to go for a MCSE.

Now you have to bear in mind that i do not work in the IT industry, but i do have some general knowledge about computers. Ie. I upgraded the Ram and Hard drive in my computer and networked two computers together. Not rocket science i know. But i just enjoy computers, a lot more than my current job. Which is why i thought why not go for a career in IT.

Anyway, what i am getting at is, should i jump straight in on a MCSE or go another route, the end qualification sounded good to me. If i shouldn't go with computeach then who is the best online training provider out there? The main thing computeach was pushing was the fact that they train the students on Win 2003, whereas most other providers are still using 2000. Is this true, is there anyone else out there training on 2003?

I would not be able to study alone, i need to know that i have help there if i need it.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, i just need to know what you think i should do. Any help is most welcome. :)

Thanks

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well, and others would disagree with me here
    I think if thats the side of IT that you enjoy, then the MCSE is for you, others put alot of faith in the A+ and Network+, but I never have
    Alot of providers are doing 2003 and 2000 at the moment, so I assume thats just computeach marketing spiel

there are plenty of other providers scattered around, others can best approve/disapprove as I havn't used a provider for a while

the alternative is to go the other route and use this place as your 'support when needed' through experiance we seem a little more experianced than the 'tutors' you end up getting through to :)

oh
    and Welcome :)
    (im thinking someone may move this thread)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Nope wrong Phoenix agree with you there. In fact that's a lot of solid advice.

Why don't we leave the thread here and I would invite Techgirl to introduce herself in the New Members Forum

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

I'm with Computeach doing MCSE and yes they have upgraded
    me to the 2003 version....

I was asked and given the option to do it, and as it's a two
    year course I felt it would be a better move hoping to be
    qualified 2004/2005 then users will be onto the 2003.

One word of warning, is you get what you pay for with them,
    they are maybe not as helpful as they let on, I've had some
    issues and problems, but they have been sorted.

There are a lot of people moaning about the costs with them,
    you can get cheaper, but they do give a gar for you exam
    pass, or they put you through until you pass.

Do others offer this?? One thing to check cos if you do have to
    re-sit them a few times it would bump your price up.

I feel i've been treated fair by them, and any other questions
    you may have feel free to ask away...Callum

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  5. Techgirl

Techgirl New Member

Thanks for all you help, i have decided to go the 'self study' route. I have purchased a A+ exam guide. I figure if i can pass those exams i will continue and try for the MCSE. From a quick glance i think i should be fine, but i'll be back for some advice i expect.

:D :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would just like to add a little more insight before you pay upfront for any training.

The MCSE track is a long tough journey, I started it three years ago and the going is still tough. Sales reps usually have no idea at all how hard it is to pass some of these Microsoft exams. Having sat in front of those exam screens for four hours sometimes pulling my hair out, I can say now that you should spend some time examining your options and looking at the real detail of what is expected. The MCSE is designed for IT professionals and a fair amount of knowlege is assumed.

Start with the A+, then N+, then do the XP MCP and see how you go. If you think the MCP was not too tough, then do the server MCP exam. You need seven MCPs to become MCSE. Why not slowly aim towards MCSA (four exams) and then progress toward MCSE if you want to afterwards?

Just my 2c

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Whilst everything everyone has said is great advice, i personally would suggest the A+/N+ Route, as, if nothing else, I believe the can be used as electives for the microsoft cert's, making those certs easier to obtain, and giving you three certifications at the end of the day.

I suppose it just depends on what level you want to start.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present