Help, it's just to complicated

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by C.L.C, Nov 2, 2006.

1. C.L.C

C.L.C Bit Poster

Hi all

I’m 38 &I have recently been made redundant from my job, of which I did for 18yrs. I would now like to get into IT (if I’m not to old now). I was told of this site by the nice man from NITL & would be grateful for all the help & advice you can give. I have looked at MCSE through home study but am weary of the courses and costs (£4500+). Had visits from Computeach & NITL & couple of others to follow soon. Also thought of trying to get through Comptia A+, N+, etc on my own, maybe using something bought from e-bay and then using a home study company to complete to MCSE.
    Also any advice on going through collage or Open Uni would be great as they seem to do different courses (tech support, hardware supp for ICT, BSc, MSc), that they say will give the skills needed to pass Comptia, or would these do in their own right.

Its all so confusing and it’s the thought of wasting all that money has put me off for the past 4/5 years now but as I now have no job prospects I feel I need to take the plunge now or never.

Sorry to drag on a bit

Thanks

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+,N+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - if you are serious about doing it the self study route, have a look at this thread, which should help.

For help and advice you always have CF and google...

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. TCM pointed you to the right thread for anyone who wants to get into IT and don't know where to start. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Yeah! Post your problems on this site! Sharing and getting knowledge with CF ^^

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi CLC

I am currently doing a B Eng with the Open Univesity your best plan is to look at their website www.open.ac.uk they do a BSc in IT and Computing that might interest you, I started on that but switched to the B Eng as the course mix was more to my liking. A degree usually takes 6 years of blood sweat and tears but you can get a few bits of paper along the way.

They are begining to bring in "Vendor" certs into Foundation Degrees at the moment 2 MCPs can get you 30 points and the OU are offering a CCNA course, again 30 points, towards you degree.

Once you have had a look ring up the local OU office and ask to speak to somebody about starting a degree or find a local open day, they hold them all over, and visit it.

I've planned my masters just need to finish the next 2 years before I start on that.

6. garyp

garyp New Member

Hi there and welcome

I am also in a very similar position to yourself in that I too have decided to train towards a career in IT, and I'm 6 years older than you! So I certainly wouldn't worry about being to old. I started the comptia A+ course 3 months ago and even though it can seem like quite a lot of info to take in at times, it is now starting to come together and make sense. The thread from TCM I think is spot on. I am doing the course at my local college and to be honest, if I had my time again I would choose the self-study method. Buy yourself an old computer to play around with and get all the help you can from the guys on this site.
    Good luck and stick with it.

WIP: a+