1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, IT Job hunting

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hhuck, Jan 28, 2009.

1. hhuck

hhuck New Member

I will finish my degree this year and I am starting to look for jobs, to see what is out there. But I have never really looked or applied for an IT job.

Can someone give me some advice? Is there a website for IT Jobs for graduates? I searched for this but so many came up. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, :)

2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I'm somewhat in the same boat, I just won't be graduating for another couple of years but I will be looking for my first IT job in a few months. From what I have gathered from here it never hurts to get your basic certs, A+ and Network+ from CompTIA. Then start looking for entry level jobs, don't expect to land an executive position just because your a graduate and keep in mind that internships may help you get the experience if the job market is a bit sparse at the moment.
    Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Once you've finished your degree, get your CV up to scratch and start browsing the major recruitment websites and looking for "Helpdesk Engineer/Support Analyst/PC Repair Technician/PC Field Engineer" type roles and applying, as these roles are considered "entry-level" and require no previous experience. I'd also recommend taking a pro-active approach and contacting the IT organisations that are in your area directly. I've landed a role by by doing this before in the past, and the job was being advertised all over the place through many different agencies!
    Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Pretty much the same as above- check out Hays and Reed, they seem to have a graduate section, and it's pretty easy to search for what you are after.
    Apply for entry level positions, and study for some industry related certs :)
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

www.milkround.com is good

really just use your common sense on google to find employers. Off the top of my head, for example: Tesco, Asda, Lidl, Aldi, Microsoft, IBM, RM, GCHQ, MI5, MI6, NHS, Intel, AMD, Sony, HP, Fujitsu, Siemens, TDA, EDS, Civil Service, Royal Navy, Army, RAF, National Grid and Mars. All these have graduate schemes - well last time I checked anyway.
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.