Help -flash cards taking too long to make

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by supernova, Nov 28, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Its taking me far to long to make flash cards for this cert.

And many have just come out as lists.

Has anyone got any other advice?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Don't make them!

I found the MCDST courses so indepth in places, that flash cards would end up like lists (gave up during the 1st of the 2 exams) - they may work better for COmptia courses where they are a mile-wide, inch-deep but even then I still wouldn't use it.

I've found mindmaps work really well for me. I used this book and adapted them to my way of thinking. Have done it with 70-272 and ITIL Foundation, and currently doing it for Net+.

I was intending on posting my 70-272 maps in the correct forum anyway but haven't got around to it - will try and get them done ASAP for you.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

power point slide show :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. supernova

That is how i am doing the flash cards now.

With the MCDST the books are well structured in to sections, most seem to be around 20mins with a few 40-70mins.

I find that it takes me about 3 times that when producing slides and they become lists easily, user/group type, files, folders, order to try stuff etc, so are less effective.

I think i am going to try dictation

5. supernova

I think i am going over the top with this, dumping aids and just reading book.

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think Flash cards have their place, but i only use them when i am struggling to remember certain key points.

Good luck!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. supernova

Thanks Boyce

I had a brilliant system for studying the A+, it isn't very effective for the 271. I want to find something that works when my study hours are reduced next year due to work load (hopefully.. lol).

My study plans are always very goal and time orientated, its just finding what works for me.

Think I know how I am going to tackle this now, just need to test this on a chapter or two over weekend.

Cheers