Help desk/ 1st line support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

In these jobs would you be dealing with hardware issues or is it mainly at an OS/Application level? I think I may have the wrong idea.. because if you're on a helpdesk you obviously cant swap out a hard drive or install ram for the person calling.

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Depends on the company really. You should be able to get an idea from the job spec.

3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

I think it depends on the company mate.

My first IT Role was Helpdesk in a team of 4. I was there 2 weeks when the Manager was off with a Hernia Operation, the Desktop Support guy had a Family illness in India, and the Networking Girl wrote her car off and was in Hospital for a week.

So my first role, 2 weeks experience and that's it. I was doing HDD swap outs, Memory changes, Networking patching. Obviously this was a 1 off but you get my drift.

At the last place before I started the new job, it was a very strict case of Answer Phone - Basic Diagnostic - Pass to Desktop.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

When i started on helpdesk we did everything. Each site had a helpdesk, and we managed our own servers, switches, hardware, the lot.

However, where i am now - there's a guy assigned to doing deskside alone, and helpdesk deal with password resets, software issues etc.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. raju123

raju123 New Member

hi, I have been working in Help Desk/Desktop Support for 2.5 years now Ranging from Small to large environments. I think Help Desk is loosely defined outside the IT Arena. When one hears Help Desk they think of 1) Customer Service where you're opening tickets all day and assigning tickets or 2) Desktop Support where you're working more hands on and doing level 1 networking troubleshooting, working with AD, DNS, DHCP etc). So, you may want to look at the job spec to get a more clearer idea. However, in my jobs where I was doing this stuff I was working with hardware and software (FileServer Permissions to swapping HDD and adding graphics card, imaging PC's etc).

6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

It can be many things, dependant on how busy you are or in our case what events we have going on.

Today for instance we used this new thing called telepathy where we had to guess who needed a laptop while at the same time trying to resolve a 2 print issues and also handling calls, whilst also chasing other departments for the random stuff they throw at us and expect us to drop at a moments notice because their problem is the most important etc. Kind of like when there is some idiot driver up your backside because of all the motorists in the world, he is the only one that is running late.

OOhhhh, that sounds all rant like, which its not meant to be, its just one aspect of what a helpdesk role can entail. No one day is the same.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680