'HELP' command in Vista's WinRE?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bootmgr, Sep 16, 2008.

1. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Hello everybody,

Does anyone know how to get 'HELP' using the command prompt in vista's Recovery Environment? I typed HELP and it didnt recognize it.I googled for it and searched MS website but havent found anything about it.

Also, how to disable services and drivers using the WinRe command prompt? No LISTSVC in vista. But to disable drivers,they say we could go to the registry.I know that the drivers are found in the HKLM key,but is there a specific subkey that contains all the drivers? If no,in which subkeys are they usually found? I suspect Hardware subkey but I'm not sure if there are other subkeys too....

Thanx in advance :)

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi bootmgr,
    I'm assuming that you're referring to help on the commands you can use inside the recovery environment inside Vista. For instance if you wish to rename a file or folder then you'd use ren command.

If you need help with a particular command then you use the /h suffix.

So for the rename command it would be:-

ren /h

As for your second question this microsoft support article may be of use - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654. (I know that it's XP-related but the recovery environment's command prompt actions should be identical)

More specifically, this command action (I quote):-

Disable disables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service_or_driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to disable. When you use this command to disable a service, the command displays the service's original startup type before it changes the type to SERVICE_DISABLED. Note the original startup type so that you can use the enable command to restart the service.

Hope this helps :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Thanx a lot Qs :) but i am familiar with some of these recovery console commands,and btw, i was referring to the 'HELP' command.In XP's recovery console ,when you type 'Help', recovery console displays a list of the available commands that you could use. But in Vista's recovery console (called winRE command prompt) ,type the word 'HELP' and you'll get nowhere hehe. Just wanted to know about the new features in Vista's recovery console and typing 'HELP' didnt help lol.

And btw, DISABLE is not available in Vista's recovery console.Check this (scroll down a bit) : http://blogs.msdn.com/winre/ . There is a table that highlights the differences between XP 's recovery console and Vista's recovery console.... :D

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Well how rubbish is that! Why create a restricted recovery environment? :dry

Glad I haven't had the misfortune to use it yet :p

Anyway, this article may help - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/4e7cd306-e9b0-4296-9528-9121d4f9bd111033.mspx#BKMK_TechnicalReference

It's probably worth a read - although if the command isn't there, then it isn't there...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

lol yea you're right,the recovery console of XP was better. But since I am an MCTS in vista config,am gonna say that I prefer Vista over XP :P .Instead of using DISABLE,LISTSVC etc..., Vista's recovery console allow you to directly access the registry and start messing around with registry keys to find and delete the drivers ...easy huh?? LOL ..I dont know why they decided to not included DISABLE and wanted us to delete drivers from the registry,but at least you can now do a system restore from the DVD incase anything goes wrong with the registry.And another cool thing is that you can now do a COMPLETE PC backup/restore that not only restores your windows partition,but also other partitions that include data ;whereas ASR in winXP only backups and restores your windows partition.

Take care :D