Help: CCNA 1 exam or 2?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by mentman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mentman

mentman Bit Poster

Hello

I require some help and advice,
    Im have been studying for ccna now for a few months and i have a good understanding of 70% of the matiral.
    I am now taking some time off work to go over everything again and hammer it all in before my exam, but i am not sure to go for the ccent icnd1 and then icnd2 or just go for the 640 802. what differs between the two?

Any advice and experiences will be appreciated,

Alex

Certifications: CCNA, CCENT, ITE, 642-812 BCMSN
    WIP: 642-901 BCSI
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I refer you to this thread - it should provide you with answers to most of your questions.

Personally I took the single exam. *shrugs* Worked for me. I didn't want to stretch it out any longer than necessary. :p

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im doing the 2 exam route, as im a believer in building up knowledge, and also I wanted an extra cert to put on my wall :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I used to recommend the single CCNA exam option for two reasons: you didn't get anything extra for taking the two separate exams, and the second exam contained ALL the difficult concepts, and there was no "easy stuff" to hide your weaknesses.

Now, with the new ICND1 and ICND2 exams, the content difficulty has been more evenly spread between the two exams. Plus, you now get the CCENT for passing the ICND1 exam; you don't get the CCENT after passing the CCNA exam. For these reasons, I now recommend the two-exam option.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. ASRsystems Andrew

ASRsystems Andrew New Member

Single exam for sure

Otherwise, by the time you take the ICND2, you will have forgotton some of the ICND1 topics.

There is crossover between the 2 exams, so best to nail it in one go

Certifications: CCIE
    WIP: CCVP
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Having created practice exams for both, I can state pretty definitively that there's not a whole lot of crossover. Besides, you shouldn't be taking these exams unless you have some grounding in Cisco already.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!